Traditional Publishing -- Step 2: Write a Compelling Synopsis

If there's anything writers hate more than writing a query, it's writing a synopsis. A synopsis is a description of your novel's plot and character arcs, including the ending. Its purpose is to convince an agent or publisher that you know how to organize and pace a novel.

The most common length for a synopsis is 1000 words -- two pages, single spaced. It's not uncommon to be asked for other lengths, however. I've seen everything from one double-spaced page to ten double-spaced pages. Remember, whatever the publisher or agent requests is what you send.

Synopsis tips:

--Do NOT do a chapter-by-chapter summary.

--Imagine how you would tell the story to a friend. A synopsis is similar.

--Focus on the main plot line and the character arcs of the main characters. Simplify if you need to.

--Do not include every subplot or every character. Mention as few names as possible. For secondary characters than need to be mentioned, use relationship descriptions instead like JIM'S MOTHER as much as possible. Rule of thumb, only 5 or fewer names, CAPPED on first use.

--Writing counts. Like the query, write the synopsis in third-person even if the novel is in first-person. Make sure the synopsis reflects the style and voice of the novel, but again like the query, don't write it from the point of view or voice of a specific character.

--Have people who are unfamiliar with your book read your synopsis and give you feedback. Note where they got confused and what they had questions about. You don't want to leave an agent confused.

--Answer ALL of the reviewers questions to their satisfaction, and rewrite until reviewers are satisfied. If you are unable to answer their questions or they are confused by or dissatisfied with the answers, you may well have discovered a problem in the manuscript. This is a GOOD thing, even though it's painful at the time.

One of the differences between a newbie amateur and a professional writer is a desire to get better, even when that requires rewriting that novel for the third, fourth, or tenth time. Painful feedback SUCKS, but it makes you better.

It's also a necessity if you're going to successfully traditionally publish. If your reviewers are identifying holes in your story, it's a given that an agent or publisher will. Listen to that niggle in your gut: fix the problems before you submit and blow your chance with an agent.

TIP FOR SUCCESS: Write your synopsis as soon as you finish your first draft (or earlier, if you're a plotter). Let it help you identify issues related to structure and pacing.

 .

Did this chapter answer a question you had? It would be great if you would press that little star graphic in the top right corner. If not, just carry on reading and vote for one you find more helpful. Oh, I'd be happy to answer your questions in the comments below, as well. --XG