Chapter 10 (Part 2 of 3)

The revelry celebrating Prince Relastin's victory was a ruckus affair. The wine, beer, and whiskey flowed freely while food chased the chosen liquid of each particular guest down their throats. The celebration reached new heights after Princess Lyla made her planned announcement.

Once thoroughly congratulated by the prince, an adulation which Kaden was sure might never end, he'd spent time receiving equal attention from each of the other guests in turn. And as the prince had predicted, the young Karo Shar had been required to answer the question regarding the official account of Prince Kolad many times over. And each time Kaden delivered the same rehearsed reply, presented with as much bravado as he could muster.

While Kaden was exchanging pleasantries with one of Ison's generals in particular, a firm slap to his back informed Kaden the prince had found him once more. "There he is!" A tankard of overflowing beer sloshed in Prince Relastin's hand. "Has my future brother-in-law been avoiding me?"

"Not at all," Kaden said apologetically, but firmly. "General Durk and I were—"

"Yes, yes, I am well aware of General Durk's propensity to speak and speak and speak some more once his tongue has been pried loose with wine."

The middle aged general in his red urk and his own scared steel breastplate bowed to the prince. All while keeping a goblet still half full of wine from spilling. "I will leave you to speak with your Karo Shar, my prince."

"Yes, please do," the prince said with a dismissive wave. "But first allow me to request that you please begin assembling a company of Ison's finest warriors for the pre-wedding hunt. And do make sure to do yourself the honor and include yourself among the soldiers."

The request caused General Durk to beam. "I am honored that you are demanding my presence, my prince."

Prince Relastin saluted the soldier with his mug and escorted Kaden away.

"A pre-wedding hunt?" Kaden asked.

"Yes." The prince drank deeply after the answer he'd given, taking long swigs of his drink.

"Where to?"

"Why, the Abyss of course." The prince made the statement as though it was self-evident to a boy who had not grown up while emersed in the traditions of Imeron High Society. "It is tradition that the prince and his Karo Shar should lead an army to clear the demon's from the Abyss before the princess is wed. And we will have to do better than when my father and his Karo Shar did the same for any of his sisters under his care who married."

"And how did they do?"

"Truthfully? Or according to the witnesses?" The prince's skepticism was not in any way masked.

"Wouldn't both be the same?" Kaden replied judiciously. "To question the honor of the witnesses, would be considered rude."

"To put it mildly, considering such would also be an insult to the king, himself," the prince confirmed. "Seven hundred and twenty-seven demons was their best hunt of the three. Including twelve succubi, ninety-three Bone Koronai, and ten Night Terrors. They did not quite make the Gates, but made a glorious run at it. I would like to also make an attempt. And I would like to kill the Guardians and be done with this whole farce. But, since we are supposed to refrain from hunting Koronai for two weeks before, the Abyss will fill up quick and make such an accomplishment highly unlikely with only one hundred men."

"I do not doubt your skill," Kaden stroked the prince's ego.

"It's a matter of skill, Karo Shar. It's a numbers game. We could take every soldier I have at my disposal and make it. But I would be seen as weak for needing so much help."