Chapter 27.

It's strange how life works - how everything just carry's on, how a night full of passion, happiness and carefree behaviour can just be pushed to the back of your mind by the one person returning from your past you never expected

I thought I'd be happy and it'd be nice to see my mom. It had been so long since I had spend time with her; just her, but I couldn't have been so wrong.

I haven't slept, I can't, knowing she's just a few feet away is enough to send adrenaline through my blood that works just as well as shots of expresso.

And with the lack of sleep and extra time on my hands, my thoughts and anxiety thought it'd be nice to have a little party. Five panic attacks in less than just twenty four hours... I'm exhausted.

My dad's been arrested. He's behind bars, and I should be grateful for that, I should be relaxed, but I'm not.

My mom protected him for years, she knew everything he put me through, and every time, she bailed him out, manipulated me into thinking it was fine, and that was that.

I can't forgive her, and it's hard to face her everyday, she's only a couple metres from me, locked in my bedroom, and it feels like I can't escape.

Class - no matter how stressful - is quickly becoming my safe place while my mom's here, it's really helping me.

"Four, five, six." Liam's fingers are tracing my skin so softly as he points out all the hickeys that paint my neck. "Seven... Jesus, he got you good."

"Liam." I whine as he pulls back from me, sitting properly in his seat opposite me at the lunch table, giving me a cheeky grin. "Stop counting and eat your pasta, it'll go cold."

Liam had begged me to come with him to the cafeteria again, on his knees and everything, I quickly got embarrassed by his actions since it was in front of everyone in the middle of the school halls and I agreed.

We were supposed to get pizza, lined up and everything, but the second Liam read the words pasta on the board opposite us, he ditched and left me waiting alone, joining the other line.

I don't regret not following him though, I already eat too much pasta as it is and I could never decline the pizza here - it's absolutely beautiful and extremely addictive.

"You're spacey, what's wrong?" And so he picks up on it. I wish I wasn't so hard to read, I wish I could hide how I'm feeling and mask it all away. I used to be so good at it too, but I guess that's fading now.

"Just in my head about random bullshit, it's fine." I mumble, slightly uncomfortable with the conversation turning around on me, so I put my pizza down and stare at him before giving in. "Mom's in town and I haven't slept, I keep remembering things, things she covered up and told me, I don't know, it's stupid."

"Hey, it's not stupid." He hushes me, putting his hand over mine in a way to comfort me. "What things, bingo?"

I shake my head, pulling my hand away. "It's fine, it's the past, I can't really remember anyway. I'm serious though, eat, it's gonna go cold, you won't like it cold."