six

sorry for the hiatus guys, the last few months have been a little crazy. BUT, I'm on summer break now and you can expect more frequent updates!

jenna's pov

The next morning, Ashton woke up feeling and looking 1000x times better, thank the heavens. After dropping him off with Ms. Jelene, I headed to work with the same semi-positive outlook as I do every day. Thankfully, there wasn't a huge college tournament at the course today, just a bunch of lessons and paperwork. 

As I unlocked the pro shop and turned on all the lights, I looked out the large, clear windows at the dewy, freshly groomed course and inwardly smiled. 

Life could be worse.

I looked at the schedule made the day prior and grinned. I know I'm not supposed to have favorites, but Kelsey was on the schedule for a lesson today and she was my favorite student of all time. 

At 14 years old, she might appear to be a teeny bopper that is too interested in pop culture and boys, but she is wicked smart, has a mean golf swing, and is the sweetest, most self-confident girl I could ever meet. Sometimes I wish I was her. 

After a couple of lessons with some elderly members of the club, whose husbands have forced them into playing when it's obvious that they don't want to, I was worn out. 

One woman, in particular, Mrs. Nelson, would not stop badgering me about dating her son, an avid videogamer who still lived in the Nelson Family basement. When I tried to explain to her that I have a son, she even had the audacity to say that we could all live in her basement. 

As I started to patch the many divots in the ground after Mrs. Nelson's anger spree/golf lesson, I saw a flash of bright pink approach from the walkway. 

Kelsey has arrived. 

Kelsey normally has late lessons, when she can get here from school, so by now the course has emptied and the club members are starting their dinner in the clubhouse, but we have the range to ourselves. 

Kelsey bops over to where I am and begins to set up as she knows I am a stickler at practice, and that I mean business. We spend the next hour determining the yardage that she hits each club, so she knows which club to hit during a round on the course. 

After we finish, Kelsey normally fills me in on the latest club gossip and I show her the cutest pictures of Ashton, and I have a few minutes of normal girl time- even if it is with a 14-year-old. 

Kelsey's mom came to pick her up and I relished the few moments that I had to myself and decided to hit some balls. I grabbed my clubs and started to warm up. I hadn't played golf for myself in a few months and I missed the feeling I got when the ball would make contact with the clubs and soar through the air. I plugged in my headphones, turned on my 2000s throwback mix, and got in the zone, hitting for about an hour. 

Once my fingers started to cramp, I realized that it was about time to wrap up. I grabbed my clubs, took off my glove, and took off one of my AirPods when a deep, masculine voice scared the crap out of me. 

"You know, you hooked some of those" 

AN: In case you don't know, in golf to "hook" a shot means to make it go in a large curve when you want it to go straight. So- that's the title of the book! I guess it means that not everyone goes as planned, but you make the best of it!

I know this is a short update and it is kind of filler, but don't be disappointed! More is coming!

Comment and VOTE!

Thanks for reading :)