Chapter 1

I wouldn’t have seen her coming out of the window, lowering herself down from the second story window and onto the tree in my backyard. But today, I finally decided to listen to the insistent barking of my dog and followed Jim into the backyard and found Anna Kimbell, hanging by a hand on the lowest tree branch to the ground, eyes wide and shocked, her expression like the one that she had been caught doing something very bad.

But in this case, she was sneaking out in the middle of the night in incredibly short shorts and a black crop top and a denim vest to top it off. Oh and did I mention the incredibly black leather stiletto boots that she was carrying on her back.

I was shocked past belief. The good girl of the school was in my backyard, hanging onto a tree branch, ready to sneak out and party like there was no tomorrow and I had just caught her in the act.

Just then the sensory light in my backyard went off and I could really get a look of Anna. She started as the light went off and fell to the ground with a thud. Picking herself up, and dusting off the dirt that got on her clothes, Anna looked up at me, expecting the worse and all that I could pull off was a simple smirk. “Busted.” Was all I could produce.

“What are you gonna do ‘bout it?”Anna retorted, flicking her hair white blonde hair off her shoulder and cocking her hip, still standing in my backyard barefooted.

“Your life.” I replied, not a care expressed in my voice as I walked back inside, whistling for Jim to come follow.

I could still remember the way her face twisted into a look of astonishment as I turned and walked away from her, letting her stand in my backyard ready to sneak out to a party. It made the corners of my mouth twitch and then finally pulled my mouth into a knowing smirk.

That next morning, as I was going for a very early jog and the craziest thing happened. I get about a hundred metres away from my house and Anna is pulling up and indicating for me to get in. The girl seemed harmless so I really didn’t care; it was when I was in the car that I realized that Anna was more than meets the eye.

It felt good with the wind in your hair and watching the scenery pass by, I gave Anna a sceptical look, curious to where were going and then I saw it.

An awesome blue met with white sand and the wondrous sound of the ocean waves. I closed my eyes and felt the wind pass my skin once again and take in a deep breath of salted ocean air. And the most amazing thing was the sun rising over the water, the first sign of daybreak.

I hadn’t realized it yet, until my view of the sun was blocked by a figure, whose face was cast in shadows from the sun. The car had stopped and Anna was standing in front of me. But I could tell she looked anxious, by the way she picked at her fingernails and worried at her lip. “You’re going to make your lip bleed if you keep chewing at it.” She perked up and stirred from her deep thoughts, staring at me for a second and then yanking the door open. Unfortunately I had to be leaning against the door at the time, and painstakingly fell to her feet.

I felt the sting of the warming concrete, and rolled over and inspected my shoulder. “Sorry, not sorry.” I looked up and glared at Anna, in return she poke her tongue out. She hopped awkwardly trying to get her thongs off and walked over and onto the sand, turning around after a few steps and nodding her head the way the ocean was, another sign for me to follow.

My shoulder unfortunately took the fall, and was starting to profusely bleed, even though it was a graze. Flipping of my shoes, and peeling off my socks, I jogged over to Anna, catching up to her and strolling by her side.

Really pissed by the way my shoulder stung, I looked at the back of Anna's before peeling off my singlet and shorts and disappeared into the ocean. Letting the water be its own natural antiseptic for the graze.

I resurfaced a moment later and waved back toward Anna a huge grin on my face, Anna saw the action and rolled her eyes at me, and continued walking, her small feet leaving shadows in the sand.

Rubbing the wound a little more, I ran back to shore, picking up my singlet and pulling on my shorts. Quickly grabbing my sneakers, I bolted after the now seemingly far away Anna, and slowed to a walk as I came shoulder to shoulder with her.

“So... why are we here?” I looked out at the ocean again, and relished the sight of the blue sparkling water, feeling sad of how I never get to see it as much I liked to anymore. In the corner of my eye I watched her shoulders bop up and down, a shrug, an uncertain answer to why we were actually here. “Are you going to talk, because if you’re not, I’m fine taking your offer and go and swim some more.”

“Please, don’t tell anyone.” I looked back at her, Anna’s pleading hazel eyes meeting mine, it bore into me, like a hook, I couldn’t let go, no matter how hard I struggled. “No one can know, no one, you hear me. If my parents find out, I’m dead!”

“What’s it to me? I won’t gain anything from telling anyone, except for bringing you a whole lotta hell.” I paused and pulled my line of sight away from hers, “and I’m not the type to bring people hell.” I muttered, the ocean seemed to be the only thing that I was concentrating on, beside the stinging in my left shoulder. It could be barely heard, but I could just hear the sigh of relief exert from her lungs.

“Thank you.” I looked back at her, and offered a small smile. “Now, just for insurance, what’s your name?”