Chapter Twelve

I ignored the case for the rest of the weekend and concentrated on school work.

When Monday came around I had to force myself out of bed to head to school. I could have stayed home, I didn’t need to go to school I was on study break after all. But I knew if I stayed home I’d be tempted to look into the case…or cases. I needed to focus on what was important.

I drove my brother and I to school and headed straight for the library once there. I couldn’t face Ana let alone Marco. If I saw Luke I would probably start crying so he was a no go either.

I spent my morning working in the library my phone on silent.
At around 1 p.m. I looked up from my large stack of books. I was sitting with my back to the window and the sun had been warming my back for the better part of my day. I could feel its warmth calling to me.

I packed up my books and left the library.

I had been inside so long that when I stepped out I was blinded by the bright sunlight. I stood there by the wide steps blinking as I tried to adjust my eyes. I rubbed my eyes with my hands and walked forward only to bump into someone.

“Oh, I’m sor- oh. Hi”.

“Hi”. Ana was standing in front of me with a frown.

My stomach twisted even tighter and I was sure I was going to puke. “Hi”.

“Too busy tongueing Luke to talk to your friend I see”.

I could feel my cheeks heat up. In anger or embarrassment I wasn’t sure. Maybe it was both. I swallowed.
“No. I was busy”.

Ana snorted. “Is that how it is? Is this what our friendship is? Ghosting me because you have a boy in your life?”

“You’d know all about that”, I retorted.

I frowned and looked around us. A few students were shooting us curious looks.

I dragged her away by the wrist.
“I am not ghosting you! I really was busy. I’m sorry I didn’t call you all weekend okay”.

Ana sniffed, “You’re trying to tell me you didn’t once hang out with Luke or Marco over the weekend”.

“Luke and I did meet up but only to go shopping. Marco isn’t even talking to me remember?”

We regarded each other until I sighed. My forehead felt tight. I was getting another headache.

“I’m sorry okay. Can we please please not fight”.

Ana took a deep breath her lips pursed before she too sighed. “Yeah okay. I just…I’m your friend too, you know that right? I know that you have known Luke and Marco longer, I mean you and Luke were baptised on the same day for God’s sake. Now you're dating and I just…it’s a lot to match up to that kind of relationship”.

I sighed. I did not have the energy or mental capacity for this, my brain cells were already processing too much. I didn’t want to fight. Instead I smiled and pulled her into a hug.

I wasn’t much taller than Ana but in my school heels I was tall enough that I could tuck her under my chin. I rested my cheek on her soft relaxed hair breathing in the sweet bubblegum scent of her shampoo.

“I love you you know that right?”

She nodded.

“I mean I’m literally surrounded by so much testosterone. You’re like my only girl friend”

She chuckled and stepped away, “That is too true”.

Then she shot me a grin. “Shopping eh?”