Chapter 01

The cold midnight suddenly turned into day, with birds chirping and leaves rustling in the wind. The bright orange sun was shining bright into a small cave that just so happened to be a wolves den. Inside the cave were a pack of grey wolves in a circle formation as if they were surrounding something; they were circling around the 8-year-old boy who was abandoned in the woods the night before. Found by 2 wolves, they took the small boy and put him in their den to rest for the night.

As the sun was shining brightly and the rays were glimmering entering the den entrance, the boy flickered his eyes open as he felt warmth on his face. His eyes dilated as he tried to focus on the unknown figure hovering above him. After a few seconds, the boy's eyesight processed that the figure was a grey wolf who was glaring directly at him with its sharp blue eyes. The boy gasped in fear and sat up in shock, immediately shuffling away from the pack. 

The boy pressed his lips together and turned his head to the side, shutting his eyes completely due to fear of him getting eaten.

"Please don't hurt me!", the boy screamed, pleading for mercy with his arms covering his body shielding himself.

The boy thought it was the end for him, that he was about to die at that very moment. Although, even after a few seconds nothing happened to him. He slightly opened his eyes to take a peek and as he expected the wolves were still there but they weren't showing any actions of aggression. The wolves were more confused and curious rather than aggressive. The boy placed his arms to the side, no longer shielding himself. For some reason, he felt safe and protected. 

The boy was perplexed, who knew that a pack of wolves weren't hungry for his flesh but rather curious of him. He extended his arm out slowly and softly whispered, "You're not going to hurt me, aren't you?"

The head wolf who was in front of the pack responded to his question by walking towards him and placing his head underneath the boys small hand. That moment was when the boy finally knew the wolves weren't there to hurt him, he suddenly remembered the night before when he was abandoned and when he collapsed to the ground, the boy realised that the wolves saved him.

"You saved me," the boy sighed in relief as he gently rubbed the neck of the wolf, "Thank you.. My name is Roman by the way."

The wolves looked up at him, tilting their heads in confusion, trying to understand what he had just said. The boy laughed and shook his head, he looked at the wolf he was petting another time and noticed that he was the one who was standing in front of the rest; the boy suddenly thought of a name, "I'll name you Alpha." 

Luckily, the wolves liked the name, Alpha gave a slight nod approving of his new name. Roman smiled knowing that the wolves liked the name; Roman always loved naming things and he was quite good at it. Alpha's ears then shot up when he sensed something was entering the den. Another wolf who had lighter fur than the rest walked inside with a fish in its mouth, Alpha signalled the wolf to come over and so it did.

The wolf placed the fish on the ground in front of Roman, and looked up at him. Roman realised that the wolf had caught that fish so that he could finally eat. Roman chuckled and gently pet the wolf in order to thank him, unfortunately, the fish was raw and Roman knew that he couldn't eat the fish without it being cooked.

"Thank you for the fish," Roman said politely whilst getting up from the ground, "But I do have to cook it first. Excuse me while I collect sticks to set a fire pit." 

Roman stood at the entrance of the den and looked back once more at the pack and smiled, he was grateful for them, "I'll be back soon."

Roman started to walk into the woods collecting stick for the fire on the way, what he didn't realise that it had already been 10 minutes since he had left the den. After another 5 minutes, Roman was satisfied of the amount of sticks he'd collected so he turned around to head back but got startled by other wolves who were hungry for his flesh. Roman attempted to run the other way but the wolves circled him, growling and showing their sharp teeth in aggression. 

The continued to circle him until he got more stressed out, one of the bigger wolves pounced at Roman but before he could bite into him another wolf tackled him to the ground. Roman looked over and it was Alpha and the pack, he sighed in relief as the pack of wolves surrounded Roman protecting him. The pack growled at the enemy, swinging their claws at them to threaten the other wolves.

The other wolves still didn't give up on trying to hurt Roman, but Alpha, the bravest of them all barked with the loudest volume you could ever hear. The other wolves whimpered and ran off from fear. As soon as the wolves were out of eye sight, Alpha and the pack checked on Roman. Roman, who was still a little traumatised, immediately gave Alpha a hug. Alpha sat down and nested his neck on Roman's shoulder. 

"Thank you everyone," Roman cried, "You guys saved me.. again."

The wolves whimpered, showing concern and love. Roman smiled happily as the wolves were his only comfort ever since his parents abandoned him, the wolves were now his family and he was determined to protect them too.

Roman pulled away, and looked at the pack with a smile, "I've got so much more to learn from you."