Chapter 19

It'll be my birthday in a couple of months. I am quite excited to turn sixteen. I can finally go out job hunting and help Ma out with all the bills. I know she's stressed out from working as a waitress at the local diner. I really hate that Pops is gone. I mean I know that he could not help having pancreatic cancer, and I know that sickness is deadly. 

I also know that I should not be upset because death happens all the time. I just feel like he was gone too soon. He was too young he was only forty-one. He had me when he was twenty-five and Ma was twenty-seven. She was only two years older than he was. 

They wanted more kids, but obviously that didn't happen. Not only because he died, but because Ma had an incredibly stressful pregnancy. 

Pops didn't want to see her in pain anymore, so he decided that he would wait on the more kids bit for a few more years, but then he got sick, and then he got really sick, and then he got really, really sick. To the point where he was just so fragile.

 I remember coming to see him everyday when I got home from school. Ma and I would see him together.

Her hand in mine. At first, I was really nervous to see him, because I never visited anyone in a hospital before. I quickly got over that once I got used to seeing him. In his final hours, I enjoyed the time we had together. Even though it was rather short. He would tell me things. He basically told me that I have to be the man in the house and stuff like that. I listened, but I had no clue what he was talking about.

I do know one thing, though. He loved the both of us with all of his heart and we loved him too. I just wish I had a little more time with him, so that I could tell him how much I loved and admired him. I admired the love he had for me and especially for Ma.

He is the reason why I know how to love. Tyreek's father was also a great father figure in my life as well. He always used to take me and Tyreek to the movies and stuff when we were younger. I always got invited to their family outings.

I met his entire family on both sides of his parents. It was nice for a while, but it started to get a bit sad for me because I felt like I was the odd-one out. I felt like I didn't belong there even though I did. They made me feel welcomed. I was just out of place. 

"Keyon, get ready for school." Ma yelled. "Okay." I shouted back. I was so lost in my reverie that I forgot that I had to get ready. I miss walking to school with Tyreek. All of my friends do not live close to me at all, so I have no choice but to walk on my own. 

Bianca gets rides to school. I tossed my book bag over my shoulder and walked to school. I stayed up almost all night doing my homework. So, I was a little groggy on the walk to school. I got to the building just in time. 

As soon as I hit the hallway the early bell rang. I saw Tyrone talking to a few of his friends. "Hey." He dabbed me up. "What's up?" He introduced me to his friends. Bryson and Malcolm.

I've seen them a few times in the hallway always talking to Tyrone. Bianca saw me and she walked over to me when she saw that I was talking to Tyrone. As she was walking over, I heard one of his friends calling her fine. Tyrone started laughing. 

"Man, she's taken. Keyon over here is the lucky guy." He said patting me on my back. I smiled. She came over to me and hugged me. This is why I love Bianca, because whenever she sees me, she wants to be near me if she can. "Hey." She sweetly said to Tyrone and his friends.

 "Hey." They all said back. "I'll see you at lunch." She said and she kissed me. When she walked away the same guy that said she was fine I think his name was Bryson? Said: "Man, you're so lucky!" He said as he shook his head. Bianca waved at them before she left completely. She is so polite. "Thanks man." The second bell rang, and I made my way to my first class.