Legacy

As I sat nervously in the clinic's waiting room, I noted the unmarked, white floor and walls. My hands fidgeted subconsciously. I was always nervous before my annual L.O.C appointment. Everyone was. In an effort to distract you, the angels would give you a pamphlet to read on what L.O.C was about. After 46 appointments, the pamphlets had lost their touch on me, having all its information practically memorized.

The Legacy Observation Clinic strives to allow everyone to view their legacy's current point on earth. One of heaven's greatest policies is granting access to LOC on the anniversary of your death!

Newcomers were understandably hesitant at first. Who would ever want to look down on the hell called earth when living in heaven was paradise? Over the years it became more like a tradition. Like how you celebrated your birthday. Instead of a big party with cake, alcohol, and presents, you got the chance to see the things you left on earth.

Some chose to check-in on their families, great- granddaughters and sons. Others, like me, chose to view how their big businesses or material legacies were faring.

Interrupting my jitters, an assistant angel brought me to the observation room. The head angel came in soon after.

"Happy 47th anniversary, Mr. Horton. Your business has been doing particularly well, and they have even come up with a new drink. I believe it's safe to assume that you're aware of how this procedure works?"

I nodded.

"Good," he replied, appearing pleased with not having to go through all 25 rules again. As he connected me to the observation machine, the angel stated the basics of procedure.

"It will feel incredibly realistic, but in truth you will only be lucid dreaming. The dreams are meant to show you things on Earth."

I tried my best not to move while stating what I wished to visit. Tim Hortons

My skin tingled and heart-rate slowed drastically as I was forced to sleep. Instantly I found myself in a buzzing Tim Hortons, frantic people running in and out for lunch hour.

The first noticeable change was the massive "New Cold Brew" sign on the menu. Most customers were holding that exact drink, their faces reflecting a pleasant glow.

There was a woman with a mostly empty cup, who was fishing out a small object from the bottom. Tears sprung in her eyes as she pulled out a glittering ring. Her partner kneeled, and she nodded her head, everyone erupting with congratulations.

Pride swelled within me, knowing my legacy created something that people could bond over. As I continued looking around, tears began to well in my own eyes. All too soon my conscience was pulled back to heaven. The angel checked my vitals, then asked me about my trip.

"Tim Hortons has created a drink that is bringing people together. It's amazing." Tears continued pouring down my face, an overwhelming happiness filling me.

"You must be so proud."

"More than you could know."