The Train Ride

"Okay guys, let's go!" Riko called out as she and the rest of the team boarded the train.

It was rush hour and the train was packed, so Riko and the guys squeezed in and grabbed at the rails and handles.

The train lurched forward and Riko stumbled. Her eyes widened when she felt an arm snake around her waist, holding her tight. She looked up and saw Junpei looking out the window. He pulled her close, his arm across her back protectively, his hand resting gently on her stomach. Riko blushed as she saw the guys taking note of what was happening, but no one dared to say a word to their captain. 

"Where are Tetsuya and Taiga?" Shun asked instead, and Riko rolled her eyes. "They're out shoe shopping. Both of them broke their basketball shoes."

The conversation turned to the two freshmen, and Riko sighed in relief as she felt as though things were back to normal.

Except, of course, for the way Junpei held her.

The train stopped at the station, and Riko was jostled as people made their way out the train. She felt Junpei adjust his position so that he was standing right behind her as he continued to hold her, and his broad shoulders shielded her from the other passengers.

As the train lurched forward again, Riko felt herself leaning against Junpei's chest. "Don't worry, I've got you," he murmured in her ear, his arm tightening around her waist. She looked up to see how tightly he gripped the safety rail, the veins in his forearms were bulging.

"Relax," she whispered, "I'm not going anywhere."

He looked at her quizzically and she nodded towards his arm holding the rail. He gave her a small smile and relaxed his grip. She leaned against his chest and he tucked her head under his chin, giving her a quick squeeze. The way he held her felt different now, and she knew that he wasn't just holding her out of protection. This was an embrace. And her heart was singing because of it.

Even as the train moved, Riko felt as though she and Junpei were moving as one. She knew that anyone who saw them would think they looked like a couple, and she secretly liked it.

"Do you think Tetsuya and Taiga will make it in time?" Teppei asked.

"They should. Our match is in the afternoon anyway," Riko replied, and she felt Junpei nod. "They better make it in time, or I'll make them pay," he said ominously.

She jabbed his stomach gently with her elbow and he groaned. "We need them to win, so make them pay after the game," she chided, and the rest of the team laughed.

Checking to make sure none of the other guys were watching, Riko quickly rubbed the spot she had elbowed and smiled up at him secretly, and her heart skipped a beat when she saw Junpei's smile.

As the ride went along, they kept up conversation about the upcoming game and the rest of the tournament. To the team's credit, they acted as though it was perfectly normal to discuss strategy while their captain had their coach locked in an embrace. Riko had to wonder if they were ever going to hear anything from anyone, and guessed that she and Junpei would probably just cross that bridge if they ever got there.

All too soon, they arrived at their stop and prepared to alight. Junpei shifted to wrap his arm around her shoulder, and Riko felt safe as he muscled his way through the crowd with her in his arms. He kept his arm around her as they all made their way through the station and finally out into the sunshine.

Riko looked up at Junpei, and she could see the reluctance in his eyes as he knew he had to let go of her, now that the pretense of protecting her on the train was gone.

"It's a busy street," Riko said to the team without taking her eyes off Junpei, "We should be careful."

The corner of his mouth lifted as he squeezed her shoulder tight. And as the team made their way to the stadium, Junpei kept his arm around Riko's shoulder like it was the most natural thing in the world.