Playing Games

"Let's play." Elli said with a bright, cheerful smile as she grabbed onto Samon's hand.

"But, I still have to sweep the entrance." Samon replied, feeling overwhelmed by her enthusiasm.

"Do it later. Come on." She said, not taking no for an answer and pulled him inside.

They both sat in front of the tv. Elli handed him a game controller and started the game.

Samon shrugged and kindly looked at Elli, "You know I'm no good at this. I don't see how you will have any-"

"Don't worry. I have plenty of fun." She cut off him as if to ease any doubts in his mind. She showed him a big, positive smile and then they turned their attention to the game.

"Score!" Elli cried out happily, throwing a fist into the air.

"Looks like you win again." Samon said with a half-smile.

"You are getting better. It's getting harder to beat you." She said, trying to make him feel better.

"Thanks. Maybe soon I'll beat you for once."

"Hehe, maybe."

Time flew by as they were completely absorbed in the game.

"Whew, that was a good game!" Elli said excitedly like she really enjoyed herself. Sitting next to her, Samon found himself drawn to her pleasant smile 'beautiful' he thought.

Elli glanced to her side, noticing his gaze and the smile on his face as he looked at her. "Samon...?" She whispered his name seeming to snap him out of it, he immediately averted his gaze, "I-I need to get back to cleaning." He quickly stood up and fled the room.

.....

A few days passed since then. Samon couldn't get Elli out of his mind. He tried to busy himself with work yet his thoughts still turned to ones of her. A thought then crossed his mind. Samon hurried inside the house while her parents were out and she was at college, he thought now would be the perfect opportunity. He took a game controller in hand and sat down on the couch, "I'll practice and get so good she won't know what hit her next time." Samon muttered to himself with a sly grin.

Samon spent day after day practicing while Elli was at college until it was finally the weekend and just as he'd expected, she invited him to play with her.

They stepped into the house together and Elli started to set up the game when Samon noticed something was off.

"Huh. What about the other game? We won't be playing it?" He felt himself start to panic after seeing Elli put a game in he's never seen before.

"This is a new game I bought. I thought it's good to change it up every once in awhile you know?" She said, smiling cheerfully and went to sit by him on the couch.

Elli didn't notice the look of disbelief on Samon's face. He couldn't believe after all that practice she went and sprung a new game on him. Samon inwardly sighed and shook his head a little to focus himself on the game before him.

'This isn't so bad... I'll just get good at THIS game then.' He thought, trying to reassure himself it wasn't all a total waste.

They went at it for awhile and like usual Elli was the victor. Samon didn't really seem to mind though. He enjoyed seeing this outgoing side of her and most of all the cheerful smile on her face that has the power to brighten up even the darkest of rooms. That was the smile he fell in love with, the smile he wanted to be the one to protect.

....

Later at a meeting in the mononoke village...

"How is the girl?" Miyabi asked.

"Fine." Samon replied.

"Has there been many attacks?" Kyoga asked.

"Not really. Samon replied.

"What have you been doing in the human world besides protecting her?" Shinra asked.

"Cleaning around the shrine. Killing monsters..." Samon replied but everyone stopped listening after he mentioned 'Killing monsters.'

"What?!" Everyone said in unison in surprise at what he meant. Samon looked confused for a minute before he realized what he said. He immediately froze on the spot, "Oh, you know the monster Ayakashi to keep her safe, those kind of monsters." He said while laughing nervously hoping they would buy it.

They all just gave him a strange look telling him they didn't quite believe that story. "Oh, look at the time. I better get back to keep Elli out of danger." Samon sprung up from his chair, "Bye." He bowed and quickly ran out of the room no longer able to take their questioning stares.

Back in the human world, Samon sighed with relief as he swept the around the shrine, "I can't believe I nearly let that slip." His thoughts then turned back to those of her. He really did enjoy the time he spent with her. "Elli..." He muttered her name as his eyes gazed up to the sky looking somewhat melancholy. "I want to be the one to protect you. I don't want to give you up to anyone..." He murmured.