Chapter 2: Mama's Match

"You want to do what?" Their mother, however, is not so fond of secrets, or their plan for that matter, as shown by the shock currently displayed across her face.

"Friedrich invited me, Mama. I would like to go with him." Madline stands her ground.

"Unaccompanied and unmarried to London?" Unmarried ladies do not go on trips. Unmarried princesses most certainly do not, not under her watch.

"Friedrich will be there, so I will have a chaperone, if that is the true origin of your fear." It is not often that Madline voices her trite remarks in front of her mother. She frequently saves them for later, to relay back to Freidrich or perhaps a ladies maid. This time, however, is different. Madline and her mama both see it and both recognize the ticking counting down until Madline must marry. An engagement is considerably more difficult to procure for your daughter when she is not in the country.

"What about in London itself?"

"I'm sure a ladies maid or two would suffice as he searches for a wife."

"Mama, you can not seriously consider keeping her here. Let her have this." Friedrich's eyes dart from Madline towards the double doors.

"Please excuse me," Madline tries to say through gritted teeth poorly disguised as a smile. As she leaves, the doors close promptly behind her, though that can not stop her from hearing the rising voices coming from the drawing room she just left. She debates pressing her ear up against the door, but trusts that Friedrich will relay the transcript later, whatever the outcome may be.

As she walks through the castle, she nears the part that feels like with home, and with each step, she sheds a piece of the facade she learned as a part of adulthood. She walks past her father's study, doors closed, guards outside, like always. Her shoulders fall forward; her head droops. Each step grows in volume or would but is instead met by plusher carpets. Her favorite parts of the castle are the ones others barely knew existed, her true favorite is where no one knew existed. She lets her eyes drift to the entrance of one such place, but she decides if she was to leave for the whole of the London season, she should start to wane herself off the hiding now. And if not, it would be an excellent place to escape to once Freidrich left, so she turns and makes her way back to the drawing room, reversing her previous steps, making sure she was a presentable lady. Her mother could have no reason that she should need to stay.

The doors open before she reaches them, but her facade is in place nonetheless.

Her mother walks out first. "You may go." This is all she says, a woman of few words once she realizes she has met her match.

"Thank you, Mama," Madline says as she lightly curtseys. When she raises her eyes again, her brother is the only one in her view.

Madline runs up to Friedrich and locks her arms around his shoulders, leaving him unable to move until she releases him. "And thank you, brother." She attempts to lessen her smile, but can not find a way to do so successfully. "However did you manage?"

"My excellent people skills."

"Are we considering Mama a person now?"

"Madline," Friedrich gasps.

"Yes?"

Friedrich fails promptly in his parental attempt and starts to laugh. "Don't let her hear you say that or she will revoke her blessing on our travels."

"I shall be the perfect lady until my return."

This reignites Friedrich's laughter. "Of course."

"Or better, yet, the perfect princess."

"Now that's a stretch."

"Friedrich," Madline gasps.

"Yes?"

Madline fails promptly in her attempt at offense and joins in the laughter. Even if the doors were closed, it would ring throughout the halls.