chapter 1 - beginning

Kelsey pov

Five years later

Everything happens for a reason and perhaps this will all be worth it by the end of April. Five months, that's all they are asking.

When I first started to study for my graduate degree, I wasn't planning to work or anything just so I won't have too much on my plate and graduate with ease. But, when the school advisor shared with me how internships are another way to gain credits, I knew I had to jump for it.

There was a list of companies I could apply for but only one caught my eye and instead of writing to all of them, I focused on this one company. Right now, I'm standing in the very building because I got in.

My new internship doesn't begin till Monday so I have another 3 days to enjoy life before I start to work for real. I don't mind working but this will be the first real job I had in a while, the last one with the internship I had back in LA and the bookstore.

Stepping into the building for the first time, I'm already regretting my decision to apply for this company. Then again, the rude receptionist cannot be my reason for wanting to quit.

It's just one person in this big company, it can't be that bad. Right?

Entering the lift, I click for the highest floor before turning around to use the lift mirror. God, I hope no one here can tell how tired I am with all these sleepless nights of tossing and turning in bed. With my extra layer of concealer, I can only pray that it covers those dark circles that I wish to hide desperately.

You can do it

After a minute, the lift finally reaches the highest floor. Taking a deep breath before smoothening my brown dress, I walked as carefully as I could with my heels. I cringe at myself by the sound of it clicking onto the marble ground. Please don't fall, please don't fall... It has been so long since I wore heels as a matter of fact.

"Welcome, do you have an appointment?" a younger lady greets me while she taps on her keyboard. The position 'assistant' is written on her desk. I relax my nerves a little seeing how she isn't being as rude as the one on the first floor though I don't have her full attention.

Taking a deep breath, I compose myself. "Hi, my name's Kelsey Hale. I have a meeting with Mr. Collins."

I wasn't given much information from the email except on the time, place, and who I was meeting for the last round of interviews. I was pretty much accepted already but they still needed me to drop by.

Right as the name left my lips, the sound of the keyboard tapping stopped and the next thing I knew, she was walking around her desk to get to me. So much for not having her full attention 10 seconds ago.

"Miss Hale, this way please," she raised both arms and started to escort me down the hall. I followed her closely but didn't try to hide the fact that I was amazed at the interior of the place and the number of certificates hanging on the walls. I knew the company was big but I still am shocked for having the opportunity to step foot in the New York Times Building.

The assistant knocks on the opaque glass door. "Mr. Collins, your 10 am appointment is here."

I could hear voices coming out of the room but not loud enough to figure out what they were saying. "Come in," the man who I assume is Mr. Collins spoke out.

If I thought I was nervous before this I was definitely wrong, whatever I'm feeling right now is a whole new level of edgy. But I can do this. This is what I want and I'm going to get it.

Before I can even settle myself down further, the assistant pushes the door and I was met with an older-looking man staring right at me and another person's back.