5 Most Incredibly Futuristic Weapons

ADAPTIV camouflage

The enemy can't shoot what they can't see. That's the goal of BAE Systems ADAPTIV camouflage; to mask a military vehicle's infrared signature and shield them from detection by allowing them to blend in with their surroundings. This technology essentially renders thermal imaging systems obsolete and ensures friendly fighting vehicles are offered some protection from initial detection. The same system can also be used to highlight allied vehicles to friendly forces and prevent blue-on-blue incidents. The ADAPTIV camouflage is made up of a honey-comb like a system that can be installed in modules on any vehicle and heated or cooled as necessary to match the surrounding environment. The vehicle essentially works like a chameleon, able to mimic its surroundings or copy other objects such as trucks and cars that can be projected onto the panels from a detailed image bank. The vehicle is also able to signal peaceful intend through flashing text messages across its flank or by creating patterns that can easily be recognized by friendly forces.

Modular Advanced Armed Robotic System

Why send men to do a job when a robot can do it just as well? While most of us live in fear of being replaced by robots, soldiers on the battlefield are probably grateful to see this tracked monster rock up alongside them. The Modular Advanced Armed Robotic System (MAARS) is a heavily armed bot designed to save lives and handle situations too dangerous to send real people into. The MAARS robot can be armed with a 400 round M240B machine gun, a grenade launcher, or even used to drag injured soldiers out of danger. Capable of a top speed of just 7 mph, it's just about fast enough to keep up with the troops and has the staying power too - with a battery system capable of running up to 12 hours. It can be configured for non-lethal, less-lethal, and lethal effects. The system weighs 167 kg fully loaded with sensors, weapons, and ammunition. It has 7 cameras for driving, situational awareness, and for the weapon that can operate in daytime or thermal modes. Other features include an onboard loudspeaker to communicate, a siren, a laser dazzler, and a gunfire detection system.

Human Universal Load Carrier

Human Universal Load Carrier is an un-tethered, hydraulic-powered anthropomorphic exoskeleton. It is intended to help soldiers in combat carry a load of up to 200 pounds at a top speed of 10 miles per hour for extended periods of time. This exoskeleton suit is built to transfer the weight to the frame and reduce the risk of injury to the user. The design has also been developed to allow the individual wearer to retain a full range of motion while also being compatible with other technology such as armor, heating and cooling systems as well as a range of custom attachments. Lockheed Martin will advance the development of the HULC design to provide soldiers with a powerful advantage in ground operations under an exclusive licensing agreement with Berkeley Bionics, a world leader in exoskeleton technologies. Lockheed Martin is also researching exoskeleton designs to support industrial and medical uses.

Black Knight ARCV

The Black Knight Unmanned Combat Vehicle is a prototype unmanned combat vehicle with the appearance of a small tank and the firepower to match. the Black Knight Unmanned Combat Vehicle is designed to be sent into high-risk situations to avoid unnecessary danger to human troops. The current technology is not without limitations and issues with GPS, wireless communication and sensors still need to be worked out but apparently, it is a combat vehicle that shows plenty of promise. The vehicle is fitted with a 300-horsepower Caterpillar Inc. diesel engine. The vehicle is currently being evaluated by the US Army. It is a proof of concept for military unmanned vehicles, specifically as a combat asset. Black Knight can be used during day or night missions that are deemed too risky for a manned ground vehicle and can be integrated with existing manned and unmanned systems. It enables operators to acquire situational data from unmanned forward positions and verify mission plans by using map data to confirm terrain assumptions.

Hypersonic Missile - X51A Waverider

Since the 1990s, the American Air Force Research Laboratory has been involved in the design, development, and testing of a hypersonic propulsion system with a view to creating a missile capable of Mach 6 (4,000mph). Still a work in progress, the X-51 Waverider has shown plenty of promise during testing reaching speeds of over 3,000 mph. The result is the Boeing X-51 Waverider, an unmanned scramjet aircraft designed to be launched from a B-52 bomber or F-35 fighter. X-51 technology is proposed for use in the High-Speed Strike Weapon (HSSW), a Mach 5+ missile that could enter service in the mid-2020s. The X-51 is principally used to demonstrate the speeds and various aspects of hypersonic flight. It is developed to demonstrate a reliable system adequate to jet fuel and accelerate through multiple Mach numbers.