Chapter 11

"Sh... she told me to..." Tobias squeezed his eyes, pressing fingertips against his palm.

"Will you tell me or-" Ansela pointed the wand to him.

He jerked his head back, screaming, "No! Please! Those eyes are watching me... and her ghost is hovering around me."

"Oh, was that the thing?" Ansela's fingers curled around his chin tightly and lifted his head. "If you want to get rid of her ghost, confess everything, and then she'll leave you."

"I'll try." His voice shook.

Ansela pulled her hand back.

He closed his eyes lightly. "Sh- Watsford told me to..." He sucked air around him. "T- to kill that girl within a week from that day!"

"Go on." Said Ansela, leaning forward eagerly.

"I've been spying on her for the past few months, and she often changed her residence. Those days, she was at an apartment on Crystal Willows. But I didn't get a chance to catch her. After I told everything to Watsford, she said, 'You have to kill her somehow, within a week. We are in a deal, remember?' Then, Watsford handed me a dagger and said to stab that girl with it."

"And then?"

"One day, I came to the girl's apartment and..." He sucked air around him, his eyes slightly closed.

"Go on."

Six days ago

The corridor was deserted. The polished floor reflected the light of the fluorescent bulbs.

The peaceful silence in the corridor was suddenly interrupted by a stepping sound. As the subtle stepping sound got closer, the lights flickered... like even they could understand something wrong was going to happen.

Wearing a black hoodie and a mask, Tobias turned his eyes to the brass number plates on doors. With a sigh of satisfaction, he stopped at one of the doors.

Number 540.

The door opened as soon as he spun the door ball.

Stupid girl. He smirked.

But as he stepped in, his smirk faded, and his eyes started burning with anger.

There were only a small table and a few chairs that had no touch for a while. The floor was covered with thick layers of dust, and spider webs were hanging from the ceiling.

Did something go wrong?

He came out and rang the doorbell of the house next door.

"Who are you?" A middle-aged man looked out of the door, touching his bald head.

"Arr... Sir, are you a relative of Ansela?"

"Ansela? There's no such person here."

"Which one is number 540 then?"

"That one." The man pointed at the house that Tobias searched minutes ago.

"But it is empty."

"Ask from the office downstairs if it is empty, boy. How do we know about that?" The man slammed the door.

Tobias stepped to the apartment next to the girl's apartment and rang the bell. After a few seconds that felt like years, the door opened.

"Are you Ansela's friend?" Tobias asked, looking straight at the golden-haired girl.

"Ansela? Who is Ansela?" Smiling, she asked.

"Isn't this number 540?"

"Oh, you're mistaken ... that one is number 540." She pointed to the brass number plate of the girl's apartment.