prologue - 'Lily was a little girl'

Third person POV 

Drew has recently been crowned prince of Aliunial, which meant much more responsiblity for the growing prince. He has taken on some of his father's and mother's duties, constantly leaving him exhausted by the evening. 

The thought of escape has crossed his mind more than once in the past few weeks. If only he could get a week, or even a day, of peace. 

The castle is littered with guards, making it near impossible to step foot out of the boundaries he has been enclosed in for most of his life. 

His home is surrounded by the eerie Boreal Forest, serving as protection from intruders, a frontier from the real world. He remembers the one time he was near the outskirts of the castle for a few moments, where he had locked eyes with a young Conduit, a feared being of the Undergrowth. Frightened eyes meeting cold, alluring ones. 

Conduits are walking Sirens; they hypnotize humans with their voices and the glow of their eyes, luring them to a secret place, one that no one has made it out of. Some say it's a gateway to Hell, some say they lead humans to a prison. 

The conduit appeared to be no older than he was at the time, and though he was constantly told they would have likely tried to take him alive had he been alone, Drew believes those weren't their intentions. 

He was with a friend. The poor boy was taken by it, but the young prince was spared. Drew had been held back by the people, forced to stay within the parameters. No one tried to save him from the grasp of the conduit; they all let him go. Never to be seen again. 

He knew that these beings were able to morph from their true forms into humanoids, able to strike in plain sight. Once their eyes glow a beautiful blue colour and their hair flows like water, their features becoming as sharp as ice, that was when they were the most dangerous. And that was when a human would never escape their wrath. 

Their eyes were calling him, reeling his interest in like a helpless fish connected to a fishhook. But he knew that Conduit wasn't evil. He didn't know what it was about them, but he knew they weren't trying to take him. Maybe it wanted to help him escape this retched place. 

Ever since that incident years ago, the security of the castle has drastically increased, his own home feeling less like a home every day he has to wake up in his dreaded, cold bed. 

But he's not stupid. Over the years, he's established a plan that he was fairly sure would provide him the most clear path he could get. 

Archery class was something he was wedged in ever since that encounter, and he would occasionally swipe an arrow or two during a class. No one ever noticed. 

He always had his very own bow, carved with the utmost of dedication. After all, the prince had to have everything perfect for him. 

He was sick of it. Sick of the privilege he was given. 

He just wanted to be normal. Let those damn conduits take him away; as long as he wouldn't have to come back. 

Tonight would be the night. The night he had planned for ever since he saw the Conduit. The night the only real person he knew was taken from his grasp. The only thing still reminding him that there was a real world out there. 

He was going to escape. 

a.n - this was originally part of chapter 1, but I thought it could fit as a separate part. (and chapter 1 was getting too long lmao) 

- word count: 629