Adrien is good with Hugo.Part 3

Summary:

Marinette and Hugo arrive at Adrien's house to work on the history project. Adrien would much rather play with a baby than work.

Adrien checked the time again; Marinette and Hugo would be arriving at any moment. School had released early for the day, and they had planned to work on their history project this afternoon. Adrien paced about the foyer excitedly as his bodyguard looked on with amusement. He crossed his arms defensively. What? Couldn't he be excited that his friend was going to be here soon?

It had been over a week since his father and Nathalie had left for a month-long business trip. The mansion had always felt big to Adrien, but now the emptiness was unbearable. And to make matters worse, Ladybug had canceled their shared patrols. When Chat Noir expressed his concern, she quickly explained that Bunnyx had given her a message from the future. There would be no Akuma attacks in the next few weeks. Chat eagerly suggested that they change their patrol nights into date nights, but Ladybug shot that down.

So, Adrien spent the last week without his father, Nathalie, and his Lady. He was just so tired of not having anyone to talk with. Naturally, he might have been a little over-excited to have a friend over. Plus, she was bringing a cute baby too!

Throughout the classes Adrien had with Marinette, all the girls took turns holding the little boy. Okay, maybe not all the girls; Chloé never participated, but even Sabrina couldn't resist Hugo's charms. Adrien really wanted a chance to hold the baby too, but none of the other boys had ever asked. It would be weird, right? Guys don't ask to hold babies.

When Alya and Nino explained why they wanted him to partner with Marinette, Adrien agreed right away. It didn't take a genius to figure out that Marinette has been struggling this past week. Every day, when she came to class, she appeared even more tired than the day before. Adrien knew that pairing with her for the history assignment was a way to ease her schoolwork. And he was happy to help out his friend. But he was secretly hoping for a chance to play with the baby.

Adrien didn't have any experience with babies. Well, non-Akumatized babies, that is. Hawkmoth, for some unknown reason, Akumatized them sometimes. Adrien always wondered if perhaps it was an accident. Maybe the babies' strong emotions could steer a butterfly off course?

Anyway, Adrien was delighted by baby Hugo. Whenever the little boy sat behind him in class, Adrien always heard his little coos and giggles. There were times when Hugo reached forward and grabbed a fistful of Adrien's hair, but it didn't bother him. Other times, Adrien caught Hugo staring, his tiny eyes glued to Adrien. Whenever that happened, Nino would tease that little Hugo was in love. But Adrien didn't mind.

He continued pacing in the foyer, sometimes practicing his fencing footwork. Occasionally, he sliced the air with an imaginary saber. Marinette should have been here five minutes ago. Where was she? Adrien had offered to give her and Hugo a ride, but Marinette declined. She didn't have a car seat, after all. Still, it wasn't very far from Marinette's house. Hmm, maybe Adrien should have met her there instead and walked with them.

The buzz from the intercom startled Adrien out of his thoughts. His bodyguard pulled out his phone and tapped the screen to open the gate. Marinette would be crossing the courtyard now. Adrien wanted to go out and meet her, but he didn't want to appear too eager. So, he waited excitedly at the door for her to knock.

As soon as he heard her timid knock, Adrien opened the door. Marinette was fumbling with her many bags, and Hugo was sitting contently at her hips.

"Welcome, Marinette!" Adrien said louder than he meant to as he held the door open. "Please, come in. I'm so glad you were able to make it." Once she was inside, he excitedly kissed the air at her cheeks.