Chapter 6

AUREY'S POV

"MOMMY!!" I heard someone shriek. I knew that voice. It was Hope. But she never screams like that. I hear another scream, and that's enough to get me running. I sprint down the hallway and into the kids room. Hope isn't there. I run into the kitchen and the living room. No Hope. She must be on the back porch. I lunge through the patio door only to see Hope on the ground, unmoving.

Her father must've put her up to this. "Hope! You scared me half to death! Get off of the ground, I know you're faking"

No movement.

"Hope?" I say a little softer this time. Maybe she thinks I'm mad at her.

Still no movement.

I finally kneel down and put 2 fingers on her wrist.
She has no pulse.

"JORDAN! SOMEONE! HELP ME!" I yell, loud enough for the dogs next door to start barking. Sobbing, I shake her, urging her to wake up. But she doesn't move. I cry harder and curl into a ball on her stomach, watching the tears soak her shirt.

This isn't happening.

This isn't real.

This. Isn't. Real.

My baby can't be dead. It's nap time, she's worn out from school, and she needed to sleep. "HOPE! PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME!" I shake her some more, but it's no use.

She's gone.

"Erin! Wake up!" she yells. But she's dead. How-

"ERIN! WAKE UP!" I jolt out of bed, soaked in tears and sweat, screaming. Sonja stands beside me, looking absolutely petrified. "Where is Hope?" I ask, wiping a tear from my eye.

"In bed. It's 7 in the morning. On a Wednesday."

I let out a deep breath. "Something is wrong with me"