Movie Night

A knock on the door. Naturally, you open it.

"Hey!" You hug each other tightly, smiling with a certain type of beautiful and peaceful glow.

Neither of you is wearing anything special; a pair of jeans and a t-shirt is more than okay for both of you.

"How are you?" You ask.

"I'm okay; had some stuff get messed up at work, but I'm okay."

"Hey, I promise you, only one or two things will get messed up during your visit; most likely the popcorn." This corny joke earned you the pleasure of hearing them laugh. Their joy fills your ears and just makes you feel happy in a way that most things can't.

Once the laughing comes down to a manageable level, they ask "and how about you?"

"Oh, I can't complain, even though there's this gross thing in my doorway." You put onto the plate a short chuckle with a side of a goofy smile.

"Oh shut up! As if you look any better." A light shove on your left shoulder with a grin on their face.

"Well come on in, weirdo. Have a seat."

"Don't mind if I do!" At this, your partner lays down on the couch, stretching out to cover the whole thing.

"I said 'a seat,' meaning one singular seat."

"You can sit on the floor."

Walking into the kitchen, raising your voice so they can hear, "We'll see about that." You go into the pantry and pull out the box of microwave popcorn; only one bag left. Thinking to yourself, "eesh," as you walk over and put the bag into the microwave, setting it for three and a half minutes.

You walk back into the main room with your partner still covering the couch. "Hey, where's the popcorn?"

"Calm down, I'm getting it ya gremlin."

"Oooh, is that a hint as to what we're watching?"

"No, it's a hint about how I'm gonna pour a bunch of cold water on you if you don't give me a place to sit."

They point to the floor.

"Couch or no deal." The final and only offer you give them.

They simply lay there and smile. "No deal then."

"God I hate you."

"Well I love you" they stick out their tongue.

"Put that thing back in before I bite it off." Another chuckle poured onto the plate.

"I'd like to see you try." They continue sticking their tongue out.

At this, you climb on top of them smiling, leaning down and gently putting their tongue between your teeth. In retaliation, they slowly move their right index finger onto you nose, and then quickly pull it away. You release their tongue as you laugh, having failed to hold it back. They put their arms around your back and look at you with glowing eyes, a warm smile pulled loosely against their face. "Hey there," you say in a gentle voice.

"Hey," is returned quietly.

You lean down, letting your eyes flutter shut as your faces become close, preparing yourself for the soft touch of their lips on yours.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEEEEEEEP!

"The popcorn!"

"It can wait." They pull you closer.

"No, it's gonna burn!" You escape their grasp, running towards the kitchen.

"Oh come on!"

"Do you want popcorn or not!?!" Rushing to the microwave, you can already smell the mistake you've made just over three and a half minutes ago; opening the microwave only releases more of the scent. You pitifully pull out the overinflated bag. "It can't be that bad," you whisper. Opening the bag, you see that everything is black. You take a piece out and eat it, but doing so is almost unbearable.

"You burnt it, didn't you?"

"Shut up! You distracted me!"

"Just make another one!"

"This was the last one though!"

"You REALLY messed that one up."

"YOU. DISTRACTED. ME."

"Just get in here. We'll filter feed."

You lay the deceased bag of corn in the bin, walking away disappointed. "Now that we don't have popcorn thanks to s o m e o n e keeping
me from watching it, I think I'll pick the movie."

"Hey, that's not fair!"

"Too bad." You pull a movie from the shelf that you've wanted to watch for a while, but just never got around to. Putting the disc into the player, you hit the play button and let the previews roll.

"You're so mean."

"I try. Now let me sit down."

"Fiiiiiyyynnnnuh." Begrudgingly, they sit up, only taking up a third of the couch now.

"Was that so hard?" You sit down next to them, leaving about a foot of space between yourselves.

"Y e s"

In an obviously sarcastic tone, you recite "Oh my poor baby, you had to move. You'll never recover from this."

Their voice whiney, "Shut uuuuuupppp"

Mocking them, "Whyyyyyy"

"Because you're annoying"

"I am not; you are."

Almost as if they're begging you, they say "The movie's starting, just please stop."

You pause the video right before the movie starts. "No it's not."

"I will leave right now."

"I know you won't."

"Wanna bet?"

"Fifty bucks."

"Okay fine."

"Fine."

"F u h i n e" they get up and start to walk away.

"See you later."

"Bye. Just gimme my fifty bucks now though."

"Nah, you can have it tomorrow."

"Whatever." They open the door and walk outside, but you don't hear the car start. You just wait in silence until, about 10 seconds later, they open the door and walk back inside, a frown prominent on their face. "Fuck you."

"You wish."

"Oh how original." They roll their eyes, walking back over to the couch and sitting down next to you in the same spot as before.

"Commere." You put your arm out behind them.

"I don't wanna."

"Yes you do."

They sit in silence for a few seconds, eventually letting out a groan of defeat as they shimmy over right up against you, resting their head on your shoulder as you put your arm around them gently, but firmly. "I hate you," they say.

"Well I love you." You press the play button and the movie starts playing. They nuzzle their head up against your neck and chin as you lightly rub their shoulder of which you have your hand resting on.

The movie plays, and you watch it, but nothing really stays in your mind when it comes to the plot or characters. Your mind is fixated on the one against you; this wonderful human. You smile as they say "I love you too," a few minutes into the film.

You turn to them, picking their head up with your free hand to look at you as you show them that sweet smile, looking deep into their eyes as if they are black holes demanding your attention. They smile back, pushing their face towards yours as you do the same in return, your lips meeting softly with closed eyes. You grip each other lightly, the wonderful feeling of care and passion inescapable. The kiss is soon ended despite it feeling like a beautiful eternity, and you go back to watching the movie, a smile covering both of your faces for the duration of the film as you hold each other tightly.