Prologue

After weeks of planning, it was time. They pulled a hood over their head, hid the knife in the sleeve so barely a glint of silver could be seen. As they walked, no one seemed to notice anything strange. Their thick gloves and hoodie could merely be passed off as protection from the bitter December cold. And anyway, the people surrounding them were too immersed in their own lives to care about a hooded stranger.

This, however, was about to change for good.

It wasn't really that they wanted to do this, it was more of a precaution. By no means was it the worst thing they had done to achieve something. Or in this case, cover something up. But it didn't matter now. Their mind was made up, and they wouldn't be caught anyway. Maybe they'd even be rewarded with a promotion. Ha.

A door pushed open, they entered the building. Loud clipped steps rang through the empty hall. Every breath seemed to have an echo, and every sound was magnified. For the first time, they felt slightly nervous. But, deep breaths. They couldn't afford any doubts. Not now. This was completely necessary.

They turned a corner. Once again, the hallway was deserted. Perfect.

Their breath quickened. Almost there. One more turn... There! The door stood slightly ajar. Opening it, they saw the victim sitting in her chair, typing on a computer. "Can I help you?" she asked.

They didn't answer.

"Um, who are you?"

Again, no answer. They edged around the desk, but she didn't seem to notice.

"All right, I'm calling securi-"

But then there was a flash of silver and her words were cut off by the knife piercing her flesh.