Chapter 5 - Affordable Options

~Sienna~

Sienna woke up on Saturday morning and bolted out of bed. She snatched up her phone and typed a text to Terry and Cato to meet her in Professor Cumberfield's room. They had a mystery to solve.

The three of them sat gathered around a table in the science room. "Sienna?" asked Terry. "May I ask why we're here at 8:00 on a Saturday morning?"

"I asked Owen to come. He should be here by now..."

"Uh, Sienna? We've waited fifteen minutes and the guy hasn't shown up. Are you sure you said 8:00?" Cato asked uncertainly.

"Yeah. He said he'd be here. Maybe- oh, hey Owen."

A skinny boy with light brown hair and an alert expression had entered the room. "Sorry I'm late, Sienna. You said you needed information?"

"Yeah. My friends and I were wondering if you could point us in the right direction. We're looking for people who might know anything about Dr. Miller's death."

"Have you tried the people who run The Devil's Whisper?"

"We're looking for a free option first." Cato explained.

"Ah. In that case, I would look for Joey Fandon. He saw the whole thing outside. Uh, maybe Jimmy Gordon too, but he's, well, you know. Then try Aesha Marone. She's people smart, she could help you persuade Jimmy. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, thank you. Aesha's a new one. That'll help us, I think." Terry looked relieved.

"All right, I'll see you around, then."

"Thanks!"

~~~~~

"So we'll track down Fandon first. Apparently he saw who it was, or at least has an idea."

"Sounds like a plan." Cato said

Terry hesitated. "Wait guys, what if Joey accuses someone, and it's not actually that person? Then we would look like big idiots in front of Roger Judge."

Cato thought about this for a while, before he eventually spoke slowly.

"At this point, Joey is one of our only sources of information. I think he's our best shot at figuring out who killed Miller."

Terry and Sienna nodded grimly, then the three set off to find Joey Fandon.

~~~~~

They found Joey Fandon walking quickly away from the math hall with his head down.

"Hey Joey," Cato stepped in front of him. "We were hoping you could help us out."

"I-I can't help you."

"Well, someone told us you might kno-"

"If it's about the murder, then just leave me alone!" Joey yelled.

"Geez, Joey, are you okay?" Sienna asked, startled.

"I'm fine," Joey muttered. "Bye."

He walked away shaking his head.

"Well, that was weird," Sienna remarked.

"Yeah... there's no way nothing's going on," Terry stared at the boy's retreating back. "He knows something, and I'm going to figure it out."

~~~~~

~Aesha Marone POV~

Aesha Marone had always been a people person.

Ask her Grandmother, who always said that she could "convince a blind man to see again."

Or her mother, who would remind anyone that would listen how Aesha had won the "Most likely to become a socialite award" in kindergarten.