Tortures

Robin's point of view

"How is she? Anything new?" I asked walking into the medical bay.

"Hey, Rob. Her body condition's still stable, but mind..." Cyborg explained, dead serious. I felt a squeeze in my stomach, even though he already told me this about 20 times.

"All the time? No breaks?" I asked.

"No. Look at her brain waves. They're crazy. I've never seen such variance. Qure's mind and consciousness are abnormally active. Her synapses are working hard too. Normal person would feel an incredible pain and discomfort. And there's a chance she can hear us somehow." I looked at the screen and saw red and orange lines, jumping up and down violently. That's some new news... Her nerves... And her hearing us, which is good, I guess.

"Human brain shouldn't bear something like that. Shoot, it shouldn't even cause it. It's strange, but fascinating." He said.

I nodded and looked down at Qure.

Starfire changed her into a loose overall, cleared off the dust and entangled her hair, so they were lying everywhere on the pillow.

She's been sleeping for two days now. I carried her here and ever since, there would be no movement of her body, but heartbeat.

"Are you sure she's human?" I turned to Cyborg. I have considered this since this morning. Maybe she's Martian. A shape-shifter. Like Miss M.

"Yep, I wouldn't doubt. I couldn't test her blood, because her mind is blocking me from her body, I can't inject her anything or touch her with any tool, as you already know, but I scanned her and the build's the same as human. No alien aspects. Oh, and she will starve soon if we don't find a way to feed her." he told me and I stared at the monitor with my arms crossed. Her life functions displayed on the screen.

"Rob, what do we do with her?" Cyborg asked after a moment, from across the bed. I was surprised by the question.

"We'll wait for her to wake up." I stated, without breaking the stare.

"What if... What if... she doesn't? She's in a deep Zen phase. It's a hibernation. A coma." he said worryingly with a note of doubt in his voice. Doesn't he believe she will come back to life? He isn't telling me anything new. He has scanned her and got to know dome things. But the rest of those informations... He keeps telling me them everytime I get here.

But, he has to hope... We all do.

What is going on? Is this possible that-? No. She has to wake up. Soon. She will.

Dark thoughts crumbled into my head anyway.

I slightly turned my head to the left and hesitated for a while before saying "We'll wait anyway."

Cyborg looked me straight in the eye, trying to decode my thoughts.

I just stared back, being thankful for my mask, even though he wouldn't read me without it as well.

After a few seconds which seemed like minutes, he gave up and left the room.

I sat in a chair, in the corner and watched the monitor, controlling Qure's situation.

I barely know her. And I know nothing about her.

Why does she bug me so bad?

Then, I heard a small alarm and a long sharp, high, sound.

Her heart stopped beating.

Qure's point of view

I screamed in the dark for the thousandth time, but no sound has been made. I've been tortured here for so long. For an eternity. I couldn't escape. Is it how things after death look like? Shouldn't death be painless? But I somehow know I'm not dead yet. I just know. A sharp pain was burning holes in my whole body. I felt like something was ripping my brain into billions of pieces and crushing them one by one, in a cruel way. Mental ache was even more unbearable. I should have fainted a long time ago, but I didn't. I wanted to, but couldn't. I tried to move, but I realized there is nothing around me and that I have no body. I am nothing, but pain. It's like a black hole's imbibing me. I couldn't think.

LET ME OUT! I screamed as the suffering was getting worse, but again, made no noise. KILL ME! I wanna die! Please, get the pain away! It hurts so bad! I felt my head spin fast enough for an astronaut to black out. LET ME GIVE UP!

There is nothing in here. Black space. I don't know how big it is. I don't know if it has any size. I know nothing which I also am. Everything is nothing. There's no single thing that matters.

I felt a rough, painful thrill running up and down my spine. It burnt like fire. Or worse. Am I finally dying?

My skin felt dry and was coming off. How can it be? How can I feel something that doesn't exist?

ARGH! My stomach flipped and I wanted to throw up.

Hunger squeezed my guts and mixed up, so they swap places.

My lungs felt like I was drowning. Invisible liquid filled them fully.

Next, I feel like I get heavier. The pain getting worse and worse with every second. Like a venom going through veins of a victim, attacking more important parts of their body.

Then I started falling. Am I falling?
Is nothing able to fall and hit the ground? Does gravity exist here?

I felt numb and sore, unable to fight.

I saw a white light and started forgetting things like my identity and memories. When I was completely cleared off them, I finally hit the subsurface and something imploded inside me, like someone popped a balloon.

I stop feeling the pain.

I stop suffering.

I stop worrying.

I hear a soft whisper "Cure...", then

I die.