Chapter 31

Belle's POV

I can't believe what's going on. Melodie and Maddie are back safe, but just as things are getting better, there's a car crash.

I don't know what to do. I can't stop crying, and seeing Hunter in pain, because of both her injuries and her brother's absence, breaks my heart. I want Cody to wake up, he is one of the sweetest people I have ever met. He's practically a big brother to me Maddie and Melodie. Scratch that, he is our big brother. But I can't imagine what Hunter's feeling.

'Hey, you alright?' I ask Hunter for about the twentieth time that day. She just nodded in response. 'You want me to get you any food?' I ask, standing up to go to the hospital cafeteria.

'Just whatever thanks.' She replied blankly. I don't like the way this is affecting Hunter, she's not smiling or joking or trying to make everyone happy like she usually is. It's just not fair. The worst things happen to the best people.

'Tom, come with me.' I commanded. He stood up glumly and walked away with me. 'Drive me to the nearest food shop. We're getting Hunter ice cream, magazines and bars of chocolates. Now.' I demanded. He just nodded silently and followed my orders.

We drove the whole way in silence, and he waited in the car for me while I went into the shop.

As I walked to the back aisle, containing frozen foods and ice cream, I saw an all too familiar figure who I had been hoping to never see again.

'What a lovely surprise.' Oliver said, his eyes bulging like usual. I answered him in silence. 'Don't pretend you don't want to sort this out Belle.' He said, in a mock scolding tone. 'Look, what happened, happened. It's over now. Get away before I call the police. Maddie has a restraining order on you and you know it.' I warned angrily. He walked away quietly, out of the shop and away. God, he better stay away.

Hunter's POV

'Hey,' Belle chirped, walking in with a bag full of food. I silently acknowledged her and Tom's presence. 'For you.' She said, placing the bag in front of me. I looked up at her for allowance, and she nodded her head. She had bought me a tub if my favourite ice cream, four giant chocolate bars and two fashion magazines. God I love her.

I walked up to her and hugged her, she hugged me back tightly for comfort. I could keep it all in anymore, and my tears started to fall out my eyes like Niagra Falls. I want my brother back.

Maddie's POV

'I don't want the needle to go near me.' Melodie whined, from the bed opposite me. 'Look, it's just so you won't feel the pain. It'll knock you out, and then they'll stitch you up.' I said, examining my new stitches on my arms and stomach.

'But it's still coming near me,' she panicked. I rolled my eyes. 'Stop being so dramatic.' I replied.

'Could I go for a walk?' I asked the two nurses who came in to help Melodie. 'Sure, she'll be done in around 30 minutes or over.' Nurse Nelly said. I loved her, she was so kind to the patients. I smiled in return, and went walking. I eventually found Cody's hospital room.

'It's kinda sad isn't it.' Jake said, walking up to me from behind and holding my hand in his. 'Kinda.' I replied. I sat on the edge of the bed, just thinking about all the memories we had all had with Cody.

I remember the first time we met him, when we first moved into Hunter's house when I was 8, and Melodie was 5. He ran up to us and hugged us for comfort. I instantly knew he would be a lovely guy.

'Maddie? You listening?' Jake asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. 'Oh, sorry.' I mumbled shyly. He just smiled, and said 'I was just saying how I wish I'd got to know him better.' I nodded and smiled. 'You would have liked him.' I smiled through my tears.