• 2 •

'Alone'
June 14th 2021
3054 words

Trigger warning:
• Mentions of cancer
• Character death
• Mentions of suicide

. * .

"Louis, can I be the mum now?" The green eyed boy asks cutely, his chubby cheeks are an adorable rosey colour from the cold wind outside.

The playground is full of toddlers running after one another in a game of tag. Some kids are playing with a ball and others are dragging carriages with dolls in them around.

Louis holds a doll close to his chest, shushing it because in his imagination the baby had been crying for hours because her daddy didn't want to give her a kiss. "No Hazzy, I'm the mummy, you are the dad. Give our baby a kiss now."

"But Lou, I don't wanna be-" Harry is rudely interrupted by Jake who runs up to them.

"Hey Louis, we wanna play football but we only have five players, wanna play?" The lad asks without even glancing at Harry.

Louis pouts, he likes playing football but they can't play footie with seven kids and he won't leave his best friend behind, that's for sure. "No, thank you."

. * .

"Harry, do you wanna be Batman or Superman?" Louis asks his friend as they're sitting on the rug in his bedroom. The two friends always play together after school.

Lately they've really been into superheroes and fighting bad guys and it shows as they both have their spiderman costumes on.

"Batman, please." His best friend answers and Louis can't help but smile. Superman is his favourite and he was hoping Harry would pick Batman.

"Na na na na na na na na, Batman!" The curly haired one sings as he waves his toy around.

"Supermaaaan!" Louis in return yells as loud as he can as he runs around the small room with the action figure held high above his head, making the tiny cape float a little.

"Louis, babe, I told you to keep it down, didn't I?" His mum is standing in the doorway, looking down at her six year old. The boy looks down at his shoes. He doesn't like it when mummy gets mad at him.

"I'm sorry." He mumbles softly.

"It's okay, baby, just don't yell again, okay?" His mum crouches down, hugging her boy to her chest. "Do you want a little snack?"

He looks at Harry who nods eagerly, so Louis copies him. "Choco chip cookies, please?"

He knows they're Harry's favourite, so they're his favourite as well.

The boys play with their action figures, this time without raising their voice too much. Before they know it, Louis' mum is back with a plate of cookies and a cup of apple juice. She sets it down on his little table and brushes Louis' hair out of his face before making her way to the door.

"Mummy, you forgot Harry's cup."

"Oh baby, I'm sorry." She says a little nervously, "I'll get him a cup, does he want apple juice as well?"

. * .

The primary school's playground is packed with boys and girls playing around. Most of Louis' classmates are running around, chasing a basketball. They act like they know the game, but really, they don't.

The girls on the other hand are in a circle braiding each other's hair as they gossip about the boys. Every once in a while they giggle when one of them tells a joke or 'ooh' and 'aah' as one tells them a secret.