| You make me feel safe... |

Requested by: SkysTheLimit084

Warning: nightmares 

Sorry that this took so long, if there are any mistakes please let me know. Enjoy! (:

_____________________________________________________________________________

I woke with a start from the faint screams of agony coming from next door. Already assuming it was my old friend Bucky, I hastily stood up waiting a few seconds to regain my vision after the lack of blood pressure in my head and made a beeline for the door.

During the short walk between mine and the neighboring door a million thoughts raced through my head, most worrying about my friend and hoping the nightmares have dimmed since he first escaped Hydra, but also hoping that Tony wouldn't be alerted since he wouldn't be very merciful about being interrupted from his work.

After knocking out of respect and privacy yet with the knowledge that it won't make a difference, I entered the room. I didn't bother to shut the door behind myself and walked to the former soldiers bed as calmly as possible as not to spook him. Gently shaking him made no use so I tried a different method. Softly speaking to the writhing man, yet loud enough to drown out his whimpers, I said:

"James, darling, please wake up! Your dream is only a memory now, Hydra hasn't got you anymore. Your safe!"

But being the idiot that I am I said one of his trigger words.

Hydra.

He shot out of bed and pinned me to the wall with a wild look in his eyes that I was used to seeing after regularly helping him with his nightmares. It scared me how after all these years he's still so terrified of Hydra. I could never imagine what torture he endured there.  

The impact of being forced against the wall made me slightly light headed. I could feel a bruise forming at the back of my head, which did not require the amount of concern that my brother, Steve, was showing. He had evidently entered the room after hearing the noise and seeing the open door.

"Bucky! Get of off her right now, snap out of it!" Steve yelled, pulling Bucky of me.

That seemed to do the trick since the wild look in his eyes was replaces with pain and regret. Without making eye contact with me or the star-spangled man, Bucky gave what sounded like a half-hearted apology. I knew he actually meant it very deeply but didn't have the energy to show that much emotion.

"It's fine Buck, I'm not hurt."

"Are you sure? You seem a bit woozy..." Bucky mentioned.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I should be the one asking if your alright, im so sorry you still have to go through this."

"It wasn't that bad." He answered yet anybody could see that that was a lie, but I decided not to discuss it further as i knew he didn't want to think about it.

"I'm going to go now i have to get up early, you got this?" Steve questioned, "Yeah its fine." I answered with a smile.

There were a few seconds of awkward silence after Steve left before Bucky asked in a hushed tone that i most likely wouldn't have heard if it hadn't been so quiet:

"This is going to sound quite weird and I'm not trying to force you into anything, but would you mind staying the night?"

Those words took me by surprised causing my answer to be slightly stuttered:

"Sure, I don't mind."

After making sure the door was closed, nobody woke up from the commotion and settling into Bucky's bed, he carefully wrapped his arms around me reminding me of the times he would comfort me when we were young and I had scraped my knee from tripping on a rock. We talked about everything and anything. Then he stated something unexpected.

"You make me feel safe... thank you"

And we drifted off to a dreamless sleep.

________________________________________________________________________________

633 words

Again I'm so sorry for taking so long and that its so short. I hope you like it and that you all have a fantastic night/day, love you all x 

Edit: I might write a second part as this was so short, if you have any ideas i'd love to hear them. 

- Author