Chapter 4: A Soldier's Scar

Dream sat up abruptly, jolting himself out of his nightmare as he felt himself breathing heavily.  Nightmares weren't uncommon for Dream, and he was no stranger to waking up with hands on his neck. He inwardly could still feel the black, thick smoke surrounding him, suffocating him...

But focusing on the dream would do nothing but cause him further distress. With a sigh, Dream pulled himself to his feet sluggishly and began to put on his thick green overcoat despite the blaring sun outside. Something about being engulfed in heat forced Dream to focus. It was also a way of self punishment, as Dream often felt he deserved to live in his own heat bath of sweaty turmoil.

A rigid knock came from his door, and Dream immediately knew who had come to greet him. Without a thought, Dream yanked the door open before turning to get ready. Sapnap entered, setting a plate of food on the side table. Mindlessly, Dream began to pick at the muffin Sapnap had brought him as he finished getting ready.

"The rest of the soldiers came in today," Sapnap noted. "I mean, it does look a bit grim out there. We'd anticipated more, but it seems L'manberg was able to get most of our soldiers as they travelled here. Even more people ignored the summons, and we simply don't have enough fighters to force their allegiance."

Dream sighed. It was the same thing day after day. Even though L'manberg's revolution currently had small numbers, many of them were practiced fighters. Dream knew from experience not to underestimate people. Especially crazed patriotic lunatics who only cared about freedom and understood little about politics and how to actually govern.

"That was to be expected. It's why we've made plans to win regardless of our numbers. I just hope these soldiers are up to the task."

Sapnap snorted. "Right now they're a band of hearty, hammered drunks." Sapnap cracked his knuckles.

"I assume they won't stay that way for long under your jurisdiction," Dream noted lightly.

"I do love a challenge," Sapnap nodded as Dream caught a glint in his eyes. Often, Sapnap's eyes were a deep auburn color, but in a certain light they appeared fiery red.

"Well then, won't you introduce me to our fine legion?" Dream joked. "I expect they've learned how to greet a royal since last night."

Sapnap smiled coyly. "Let's just say they didn't get much sleep."

Dream laughed. Somewhere in the back of his mind he remembered the young man he'd met that he allowed to join the medical staff. He wondered if Sapnap had tortured him as well...

"What about that one man who wanted to become a nurse?" Dream questioned. "You didn't force him to take part did you?"

Sapnap sighed to himself. "No, I sent him to bed. Seemed only fair after being attacked by the Lmanshitians."

Dream nodded. Some part of him was relieved that George hadn't had to train with the others. Despite Dream's facade of detachedness and uncaring he kept in front of anyone besides his most trusted advisors, somewhere deep inside he felt every pain inflicted on his people. And George, well... He hadn't expected his protective side to flare up quite so much from deep within him.

Dream clapped Sapnap on the back. "I trust your judgement Sapnap. And furthermore I agree. That poor man looked ready to drop dead on his feet."

Both men laughed as they exited Dream's room. As soon as they were within earshot of other servants and workers in the castle they fell silent, back into their traditional stoicism they were known for.

It was what Tommy and Wilbur used against them, calling them heartless bastards and psychopathic monsters. But Tommy and Wilbur didn't understand what Dream had gone through to get him to this point, and they likely never would. Safety is more important than love. Protection is better than anger.