Camp Campbell: Help Wanted!

14 years ago.

14 years ago I was a camper at Camp Campbell. 14 years ago I fell down a cliff... and was attacked by bears... and was in a tragic dynamite-related accident... you get the idea. But by some miracle I survived - not without repercussion, of course. My body is littered with scars reminding me of that summer, and my head is often clouded with nightmares that keep me awake for hours on end. But one thing was far more severe than either of those. The loss of my best friend. Don't worry, he didn't die or anything - we just grew further apart as the summer drew on, and I was never able to properly apologize and say goodbye to him before I left camp.

14 years ago was the last time I saw my best friend.

<Wednesday Night, Jasper's Apartment>

I flung open the door to my apartment. It was a familiar action, yet every time I did it I felt an uncomfortable knot form in my stomach. Maybe it was because I hated living in this cheap garbage bin. But at the same time, that's why I stayed here. It was cheap, and all I could afford.

I never left Sleepy Peak. I couldn't. After the incident at Camp Campbell, my parents were practically broke from paying all of the hospital bills. You would think that Campbell would have been responsible for paying them, but somehow that sleazy rat weaseled his way out of the situation so that he didn't have to pay a dime - as he always does.

 I stayed at home with my folks throughout my teens and picked up the odd job here and there until I saved up enough to move out. I desperately wanted to leave Sleepy Peak, but there was just no way I could. It was too expensive for me to leave town, plus I wanted to stay close by my family. And so, here I was, stuck in this crappy apartment.

In one hand I held my keys, in the other the daily newspaper. I tossed the keys onto my desk and sunk down on the couch, propping my feet up on the small coffee table in front of me. I flipped open the paper and began skimming over the job listings. It was difficult to find hiring establishments here in Sleepy Peak, it being such a small and dry town.

Lester's 'Lectronics Now Hiring!

Looking for dedicated workers who know how to repair radios.

Call now to apply today!

Gadgets. Hmph, not my thing.

Muffin Tops

Looking for dancers. Come in today!

Yeah, definitely not.

Seeing nothing else of interest, I turned the page, but stopped short in utter shock as my eyes fell on the next advertisement.

Camp Campbell

Help Wanted:

Summer camp in need of additional CO-COUNSELOR!

Dial: 555-CAMP to apply

Ask to speak with Gwen

I sat up sharply, hardly believing my eyes. How the hell was that place still running? I stared blankly at the page for about a minute straight.