Chapter 10

Grabbing a bag of mine and stowing it in the trunk of the car, I get ready for the drive to my home. I come from a rural part of Texas and grew up in small-town America. The fields that extended out were a scene I was well accustomed to growing up, and I never really felt lonely from the scene.

   Azrael on the other side of the car opens the door and gets in after talking to the pilot of his private jet. Yes, we flew on his private jet. Azrael insisted that it was the least he could do since he was intruding in on my 'family affair' as he called it.

   He gets in and the driver pulls out of the tarmac heading for the address of my parent's ranch. He also politely asks the driver to play music from a CD he hands him, which the driver is more than happy to do. Manners really are great, and in somebody like Azrael who is always debonair people are happy to interact with him.

   "I never asked," says Azrael as he asks, "but what are your parent's occupation?"

   "They're farmers right now," I answer, "but my dad used to be in the military. He's retired and a veteran now."

   "Oh," says Azrael as he realizes something, "they might be one of the business partners I deal with if they're farmers."

   "True," I say as I realize there could a connection there, "that thought never crossed my mind."

   "Do they own a ranch?" asks Azrael.

   The car were in goes over a bump in the road but after we're on the highway heading toward the country-side for our destination. The music also starts up. Just some piano music. Perhaps Chopin? It's nice to listen to anyways.

   "They do," I answer, "I think you'll like it."

"I can't wait to get there," replies Azrael with a smile.

   We continue to talk for the hour of the car ride all the way to the ranch. The day outside is a little past noon as we left D.C. around eight in the morning. It was a calm flight to here in Texas and it wasn't at all stressful. I thought to talk to Azrael during the flight but I fell asleep before I could. And when I woke up he was asleep. So now I guess it's a fine time to chat.

   Once we arrive at the ranch, we drive up the dirt road that leads to the farm house that my parents are in residence of. I think my brother and two sisters are home as well. The dark wooden exterior seems to glow in the sunlight of the afternoon, and it reminds of days I grew up here. I'm glad to be back.

   "Well," I say as we pull up to the front of it, "here we are."

   "It's a beautiful place," says Azrael as he gets out of the car with me, "I've never seen a prettier ranch."

   He wears a T-shirt that is quite different from his usual suit with a pair of jeans. Seeing your boss in different attire is strange, not that it's bad. I get to see more of his arms and the outfit compared to the usual suit gives him a more, mundane cuteness. The suit if more winsome, while this is just casual.

   "How many ranches have you seen?" I ask jokingly.

   "Not many," admits Azrael with a smile.

   Pulling our luggage out of the trunk, we say a thank-you to the driver before going up to the farmhouse door. Knocking, I hear feet shuffle over to the door. It opens up and I see that it's my dad who's answered the door.

   My dad is as tall as me but his hair is not as dark compared to my dark brown and is a lighter chestnut with white strands. His skin tone also tends to be darker. I get my lighter skin from my mom and my hair color as well.

   "Hey! Hogarth!" he says with a smile as he steps forward to give me a welcoming hug. I step into it and he pats his hand on my back loudly.

   "Hey, Dad. It's good to be home," I say with a smile.