Good Advice

Folkvangr and Valhalla ran on different schedules for some reason; while Valhalla was at the end of summer, Folkvangr was ahead and well into fall. Both Sif and I needed warmer clothes. We were both provided for by their store rooms, which gave me more time to complete the garments I'd already started. Tailors took them and basted all the seams for me, and Uncle Steve took over the fittings for both mine and Sif's things. In my spare time, which I had more of than I'd expected, I embroidered hems of the skirts, tops, and dresses and made judicious use of the tiny glass beads that Deri had given to me.

Sif really didn't need help settling into the rule, however temporary, of Folkvangr, but it was really nice to spend time with her, getting to know her rather than the reclusive mother of one of my friends. Of course I knew her before, having helped her and Frigga getting their house built, but we hadn't been close. Here in the afterlife, though, we got to be friends ourselves. Freed from the constraints that had been imposed on her as queen of Asgard and with the memories and damage from Ragnarok lightened, her humor sparkled like her sword when we practiced for the scrimmages with Valhalla. She was a lot of fun and I could clearly see where Torunn matched her personality. She was sharp and elevated life in Folkvangr higher than the chamberlain could in the absence of a ruler. Certainly Uncle Steve and Aunt Emma thought highly of her.

Uncle Steve was the premier general of the Folkvangr forces for their scrimmages against Valhalla, and both he and Uncle Bucky enjoyed their rivalry. Since Odin himself had given me this assignment, I cheerfully explained valkyrie tactics to him in detail. "It's not that I doubt Odin's acumen, Lys, but why did he choose you to be a valkyrie? You had difficulty learning to fight as a kid, I remember."

"True," I said, nodding. "But the difference is that over hundreds of years, a very determined aunt can beat pretty much anybody into competence. While every valkyrie can swing a sword, they're not all masters of warfare, so my skill level is certainly acceptable." He grinned and he had me show what I knew over a period of several days, carefully evaluating my skills and noting where I could make improvements, giving suggestions. He was impressed with my archery, which made me preen to myself, and was fascinated with the prospect of fighting on horseback as I demonstrated. He fell off the first time he tried it, but his interest was undaunted. The horses, once they got a better idea of what I envisioned, took to the drills with enthusiasm. It seemed to be a welcome break for them, and it gave them something new to do; they had lots of suggestions and seemed to have fun. We all need enrichment activities.

The wind was getting pretty bitter in Folkvangr when Sif and I returned to Valhalla to report to the Allfather a couple of days ahead of a scrimmage. Odin's domain was breathtakingly beautiful with the vivid color of the leaves on the trees and the warm heavy afternoon light. Both of us looked around wide-eyed as we strolled toward the hall; we'd missed out on the prettiest part of autumn in Folkvangr. Inside, we reported, and after I'd given my assessments and reports, Odin dismissed me. The wolves came with me and off to the side of the great stairs out of direct sight from the hall, I skritched ears and gave tummy rubs. I stood, smiling, as they raced off, and went to hunt up my grandpa. He was in his quarters, reading next to the partially opened window.

"Buttercup!" he said, looking me over quickly before engulfing me in a hug and drawing me over to the chairs. "I've missed you, but you look well."

"It's been really nice working with Sif, and Uncle Steve and Aunt Emma have kept an eye on me. He fitted my winter clothes for me, it's hard to do alone. How are you doing?" We had a lot to talk about, avoiding any mention valkyries and his wife, and at the conclusion of the visit, he showed me two simply vast sable-brown pelts, beautiful and more than enough to make a cloak. The hairs were stiff and long with a hint of iridescence, feeling smooth under the hand. He bundled them up for me, put a strap on for ease of carrying, and we made arrangements to reconnect at the dinner after the scrimmage. Then I found Uncle Bucky with the horses to say hi and pass along greetings from Aunt Emma and Uncle Steve.