𝔼𝕡𝕥𝕒𝕞𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕚𝕒 𝔸𝕧𝕖𝕟𝕦𝕖

This was a literature assignment. The fact that I wrote over a half of this the day that it was due is what makes me happy. So there's a hidden meaning in this and if you can find it, then kudos to you.

It was a long and tiresome day. Sure, the birds were laughing and the leaves dancing, but none of that mattered. I just wanted to go home.

Looking at my wrist watch that I was gifted by my fiancé-to-be, I realised that it was beginning to get really late. Clad in a white cotton shirt and black skirt, I soon began to think of ways to get home quicker. The only conclusion I could come up with was the one that was strictly forbidden from me; the avenue.

I quickly assessed the pros and cons of the situation. I could either do the better option of going home the long way and hear the screams of my father, or I could go through the terrible shortcut and reach home on time leaving everyone none the wiser. And so, I took off.

Standing before it, I took in Eptamartia Avenue in all its terrible glory. The cobblestones laying the pathway were the least horrendous thing in the avenue. And that should mean something since they were more black than grey- crevices filled with decades of dust and dirt. The road ahead may be short, but that didn't make the journey any less... hard.

I walked with my back straight but my head down, the only thing on my mind was to get to the other side as soon as possible.

Keep your head down. Focus on where to put your feet next. You'll be out of here in no time.

And thus, I continued.

It wasn't long before I passed the first of them.

The first stall I came across was made up of weathered wood and faded scarlet cloth. The sir that was manning the stall was standing tall, his shirt nearly bursting from the muscles that lined his arms and torso. His face was marred with scars and set in an expression of constant contempt. As I walked by him, I saw the table gleaming. Taking a closer look, I saw blades of numerous sizes and metal, but in the middle of it all, in the centre of attention, was a dagger. As dark as obsidian, the dagger was held steady with a handle made of what looked like bone.

Seeing where my attention lied, the man said gruffly, "It's the only one in the world. Made to be sharp enough to cut through human bone itself."

He raised his eyebrows ate, almost daring me to ask more. Sharp enough to cut through bone, huh? And with a grip like that, it would make hacking flesh so much more easier...

I stopped my trail of thoughts once I looked up and met the man's eyes; his anger rivalling my own. Snapping back to reality, I shook my head and continued on my way.

The second vendor was a lady of the night, her small black dress, stopping above her mid-thigh. Her blonde hair, that fell to her waist, would have been worthy of Rapunzel were it not for the little pieces of mud that was stuck and knotted in there. Her smokey eyes, their lids coloured with tacky makeup, met my own bare ones, and then I saw the glint in them. The ones promising a night of seduction and sweet, sweet pleasure.

She watched me watch her hand as it slowly lifted and touched, no caressed, her face before dragging her fingers across her neck and body. Those talon-like nails removed itself from her body before stroking rich silk cloth laying on the table. My attention was drawn to it as I realised that the cloth was in fact a dress, and by the looks of it, short as the vendor's. I walked timidly towards the dress. With her talons, she picked it up by its very thin straps and held it up to show me. It was something unlike than clothing I was used to. The back may have been low but it was nothing compared to the neck line. Imagining it on me, I realised that the little dress wouldn't cover my chest enough, leaving little to the imagination.