chapter 1: Blood stained past

My long light brown hair grazed the ground as I sat, scrubbing away at the blood stained floorboards. My eyes filled with sadness as the scene I had just witnessed flashed through my memory on repeat.

Hours had passed yet I could still hear the high pitched crys that came from the blameless children, of a poor man that had crossed a member of the feared father of the mafia, Mr. Brown.

"Get up, it's time to go." Said Alex in a calm voice. He is the man I had been stationed with for about two years now.

"Jenna, you have witnessed two years of blood stains, let's go get some food". Alex grabbed the bucket of cleaner and helped me to my feet.

Alex is a good man. He was raised in the lower levels of the mafia. He could never hurt a fly. Which is why I liked being his partner. Over the past two years he has been a father to me, and I guess I could be the cause of a few of his gray hairs.

I was full of hate a misery when I had first arrived. He is the only light I see in this life of darkness and dispare. He taught me that dreaming is the only way to become at peace in the mafia.

Power hungry people always end up as the next blood stain I have to clean up.

We ate our food in silence as I thought back to my family that I love so much.

*two years ago - 18 years old*

"Honey, we can't keep pushing them off. One day they will come and they wont settle for one of your promises and a cookie". I hear my mother angrily whisper to my father. He didnt answer.

He simply picked up my two year old brother and headed up the stairs. My mom was cooking dinner for me and my five other siblings. I have three older brothers and two younger brothers.

I knew we were in some kind of trouble for the past couple months but I never spoke a word.

Today was different, I began to walk to the kitchen when the door flew open and four tall men pushed into my once safe and loving home.

Two trashed the place flipping over the dinner table and the books I had in a neat pile ready for school. The others went straight for my mom.

My 5 year old brother clung to my leg as the rest of my family ran down the stairs to see what was going on.

My heart stopped when the tallest man who is around 6'4 raised and gun to my mother's head.

Time stopped has I fell to floor. "Stop!" I begged "take me instead." The man paused as if pondering my family's worth. It discussed me.

" I will go with you" I managed to get out between my crys of desperation. The man turned his head so he could see me in the corner of his eye.

The angle making his perfect sharp jaw line clear as day. The gun lowered and he signaled for the men to grab me.

The last thing I remember from that day is the door being slammed behind me, and the utter silence that seemed to come from the house I once called my home.

Then total darkness consumed me and my thoughts.

"Jenna, Jennna, hello, let's go, we have another job." Alex stated, pulling me out the dreaded memory.