Just A Group Activity

The next day, I lazily plunked down my stuff and met Meghan at her seat. "Hi", I said, barely awake. I knelt and let my face fall into my arms.

"Are you ok?", she asked cautiously.

I raised my head enough to glare at her. "No, I think I'm dying!", I grumbled, my voice muffled. She just raised her eyebrows, unimpressed. "Kidding. I'm tired, that's all. I stayed up too late."

"How late is late?"

"Uhhh... 3 or 4, maybe? I don't even remember."

"God, why were you up at that hour?"

"Give it one guess, genius."

Meghan thought for a second, the snapped her fingers. "Aha! You were on the internet, weren't you?" She glared accusingly at me.

I rolled my eyes. "Golly, ya think? Where does the majority of my time go?" I rolled my eyes, still talking. "Where does most of our fucking generation's time go? Social media, that's where!"

She sighed. "True."

"Excuse me", the voice from yesterday murmured. I stood up, poked Meghan goodbye, and started back to my seat. As I passed the black-clad boy, I looked at his face. I was startled to see him watching me. I gave him a quick grin, which was hesitantly returned. Then the moment passed and I hurried over to my chair, bracing myself for another boring note-taking session. And notes we took, indeed... Ugh. I saw the boy scribbling in his notebook, but he was doodling, not taking notes.

Midway through the hour, Mr. Morelli told us to put our notes aside. I slid my notebook into my binder and tucked my pencil into my ponytail like I always do. I watched curiously as he began waltzing down the rows, numbering students 1-15. I was labelled a 15. Then we were paired up by number. Since there were exactly 30 kids in the class, it worked out perfectly. I waited anxiously to see who I'd be working with. Poor Meghan was given the boy who sat next to me, Jordan, who wasn't very good about respecting 'personal space'. He always tangled our chair legs together and asked very rude questions. But Meghan was tough. She could handle him. Although when I later figured out who I'd been paired with, I don't know whether I should have been excited or running for my life.

"Lastly, Dawn Electra, you'll be working with Sam Mills. Now get together, introduce yourselves to each other, and send one person to pick up a worksheet. Quiz your partner and fill in one side, then have the other person do the same on the other side. Go!"

Who was Sam again? I looked around, trying to figure it out. My gaze rested on the boy I'd been keeping my eye on. He was staring at me. "Are you Dawn?", He mouthed. I nodded and made my way over to his desk.

"You're Sam, right?", I asked. When he bobbed his head, I went up to the table, grabbed a worksheet, and pulled a chair to the other side of his desk so I was opposite him. "So...", I started, skimming over the paper I'd picked up. "Your name is Sam Mills", I said as I went to fill in the 'name' blank, then realized I didn't have my pencil. "Damn it, where's my pencil?"

From my right, a hand plucked my forgotten pencil out if my hair and dropped it in front of me. "Lost in your head, just like you", Meghan teased.

"Yeah, yeah", I grumped. I turned back to Sam and wrote down his name. "Anyways, what's the first one... Ugh. What's your favorite color? Really?", I sighed at the lame question.

"Black", he answered quietly.

"I would assume so, since it's the only shade you're wearing. You wouldn't wear a color you don't like every single day", I joked. "Nice shirt, by the way."

Sam looked down at his band shirt and met my gaze with a small grin. "You like The 1975?"

"Yeah! Oh, the next question is favorite musician!", I laughed. He laughed, too.

"That's weird. Put them down for it", he chuckled. It's funny, the way I only had to mention something he could relate to, and he'd gone from acting like class was a funeral to an easy-going person. We quickly finished the paper. I now knew he was 17 with a birthday 4 days after my own, living with his dad. He liked watching horror movies and drawing. In turn, he discovered that I was 17 as well, and was obsessed with music and art. Same musical interests, same age, nearly the same birthday... I was almost mad at myself for not trying to talk to him sooner.

Too soon, the hour ended. I gathered my things while Sam turned in the paper. As soon as we set foot in the hallway, his mood swung right back where it started. I looked back at him. His head lifted slightly and our eyes met. I beamed, and he shyly smiled back, then dropped his eyes to the floor. I reached my locker and filled my bag. When I was done, I waited for my small mob of friends to get close enough for me to fall into step with them. Zac and Katie were debating whether cookies were better, or brownies. I jumped in, offering up red velvet cupcakes with buttercream frosting.

Just then, I caught sight of Sam walking by himself a few feet away. But even as he continued to stare at the floor with his bangs partly covering his face, he was still smiling the same smile he aimed at me before...

Well, I tried my best to edit this one, but if you find any, please feel free to point out my mistakes! I will be in your debt! Hope you liked the new chapter, and have a good rest of your day/night!

(๑♡∀♡๑) ~MadeonFrost ~ d=('▽`)=b