Chapter XI

'Where have you been, Malice?' shouted Diane. 'It's three in the morning, I come back from my ball and you are not anywhere to be found!'

Malice had to think fast. 'I was checking on the flowers. In the garden.' Now was not the best time to realise her poor lying skills.

Diane was not convinced. Malice tried to deepen the plot of her tale and add drama. Maybe it would scare Diane into believing her? 'I saw a figure dressed in black. I thought he must be after your elderberries. They're very rare in some areas of Baltia, I think. And anyway, I would never survive without your epic elderberry tarts! They're the best in Baltia!'

'I thought you disliked those.' Diane's voice turned as cold as the Avonmora on a midwinter day.

You must be thinking of those Saffron rolls.'

'I assure you I am not. You are lying, Malice. You were at the Baltian Cathedral, setting fire to it.' Diane yelled this last line.

Malice groaned. So Diane knew then. This was not going well. 'It wasn't fire, only stink bombs!.' Diane's eyes narrowed.

'Malice Desdemona Delarissa, I will make you a deal. Surrender yourself to the authorities, because they will find you anyway, or never step foot in my house again.' Diane smirked in satisfaction. 'There are only two ways you can go from here, Malice, and only the kind and honest choice will lead you forward, because that is what Baltians are. Baltians are kind and honest.'

'Fine, I'll just live with Arlo then.' Diane looked doubtful and puzzled now. 'Arlo is my best friend. He helped me with the prank. I'm 100% sure he'll let me move in to wherever he lives.'

'Malice, you are not moving in with any boy. You won't move in anywhere in Baltia.' Diane snarled.

'Then I'll go to Barrenville. Where I'll fit in way better than anywhere in this kingdom!' said Malice, remaining calm. She walked towards the window. 

'Malice?' She pulled on her gloves and wrapped her cape around her. 'Malice, what are you doing?'

'Goodbye, Diane.' She jumped out the window. 

'No!' she heard Diane shout. Too late. She heard the footsteps as Diane raced downstairs. 

But Malice had never really fallen.

She climbed down from below the large windowsill, swinging across the drainpipe. They were only one floor above the ground, and Diane's skirt was actually above her ankles for once today. She planned her route as she leapt into the shadows. She wanted to find Love; she needed to find Love. She had a plan, but if Love wouldn't cooperate, she was doomed. 

She flung herself up the brick wall and ran along the tarpaulin, leaping between rooves, searching. Then she saw a glimpse of Arlo, on top of a lamppost, his silhouette black against the white moon. He paused before leaping to a tarpaulin and jumping down. 

Without a moment's hesitation she bounded after him. Watching from the rooftops, she could see another silhouette, one with long hair. She jumped down. She looked between Arlo and the girl. The girl, who had cyan hair down to her waist and matching eyes. The girl, who was Love. 

There was no time to question why Arlo was there. She had to put her plan in action.

'Malice!' Love said. 'Why aren't you at your house pretending to be a good girl?'

Malice ignored the comment and spoke to Love. 'You want to live in Baltia, don't you?'