Part 1

Beautiful.

That's how everybody described Alcina Dimitrescu. Her good manners, vocabulary and soft porcelain skin disclosed her aristocratic descent even before her surname was proclaimed.

On 24th April 1912 at around 11PM, Lord Mircea and his wife Lady Cecilia Dimitrescu had welcomed the much anticipated birth of their only child, Alcina. Mircea had desired a boy to inherit the family vineyards, but as soon as he laid eyes on the little lady in his wife's arms he was besotted, and there was no other person in this world that was more important or capable than little Alcina.

The Dimitrescu family descended from a Wallachian Boyar, who had created a feudal domain just outside of what was now Brașov, Transylvania. He had built a castle atop one of the mountains, overlooking the valleys where the peasants lived and took up viticulture due to the excellent weather and soil conditions to grow grapes. Soon the wine production had turned into a business and it was passed down from male heir to male heir, that is until Alcina came to be.

The Dimitrescu family, despite owning the castle and vineyards in Brașov, actually resided in Bucharest, right in the epicentre of business, society and culture, maintaining a tight grip on the family's inheritance, ensuring it would continue to provide them with the luxury they were accustomed to.

Young Alcina lived up to her name, she was strong-willed, beautiful, charming and graceful. Some had even said she was bewitching and she had demonstrated a talent for manipulation, getting exactly what she wanted, when she wanted from a very early age, even managing to make those around her feel grateful for conceding her wishes. Her father had ensured she received the topmost education at the most prestigious schools and then sent his daughter to University, to ensure she was ready to take on a role in the family business, with the intent that she would inherit it once he was ready to retire.

Cecilia Dimitrescu was immensely proud of her daughter, who had grown to be an inspiring

young lady. Intelligent, driven and gracious, the first girl in the Dimitrescu family, and indeed her own to be so well educated and expected to be at the helm of a major wine company. However, there was one tiny, little worry for the girl's mother. Alcina did not seem to be willing to settle down with a husband, despite there being many suitors, all of good families and heirs themselves. Alcina was the centre of attention at social events, a stunning figure, wide hips, generous bosom, full crimson lips, sparkling amber eyes and silky, smooth dark hair, but although her daughter would be playful, even flirty with the young men, that was as far as she allowed it to go. She would spare no second thought on them once the social event was over. Cecilia had brought this up to Mircea who reassured her Alcina was just focusing on the family business and soon she would feel broody and want to start a family. Then, he guaranteed, she would have a selection of smitten young heirs to choose from.

But the years passed, Alcina was now 27 and she still did not seem to have any particular interest in men, despite their desperate advances. Cecilia, and now Mircea too, were worried that there would be no heir to take over the vineyards after their daughter. They tried to talk some sense into Alcina, but she almost immediately dismissed them. Of course she wanted children, but she had not found a suitable man yet and she did not want to wither away in a loveless marriage.

Cecilia had further concerns over the years that kept on lingering in the back of her head. They started with Ioana, then Daria, a few years later Antonia and most recently Gabriela. Cecilia had tried to overlook how close her daughter was to her girl friends, if she could call them that. They were clearly closer than friends and she wondered if that was why Alcina did not seem to have an interest in her male peers. Cecilia did not dare disclose this to her husband, as she knew he would not take it well. She attempted to discuss her concerns with Alcina but the young lady just smiled and told her not to worry about it. She would give her mother grandchildren, just not now.