One Night

When I tell people about Prescott, Arizona most of them do not know what I'm talking about. Many people will ask, "What is a typical night in Prescott like?" Most adults would respond with bars, alcohol, and music.

Well, since I'm not allowed in bars or able to drink alcohol, I say music and try my best to describe one of these nights.

Something is always going on in downtown Prescott. If it's not an art and jewelry show, it's an outdoor concert by the courthouse. Just last Friday night, my mother and I went to one of these concerts. The band's name was Ponderosa Grove.

We arrived at 7pm and parked on the hill, next to the famous Bill's Pizza that was facing the courthouse. My mother and I could hear the music from the top of the hill as we carried our chairs down to the grass. We passed countless people all talking to one another in the grass. Dogs were playing and trying to greet each other from across the courthouse. We found a spot that was behind the temporarily set up stage and opened our camping chairs. From my seat I could see guitars and people on stage. People were gathering around the front to see better or to dance.

The sun was setting to my right as the band played. One of the guitar players in Ponderosa Grove was named Drew Hall, a member of the CheekTones. Different bands played all over our town. Cadillac Angels was yet another band playing tonight. They were playing in a bar downtown.

I watched the band play as the sun slowly set behind hotel St. Micheal. People were sitting or standing on the steps of the courthouse, while others below were dancing. Little girls were running around in dresses trying to get their parents' attention. My grandparents and their friends were downtown listening to Cadillac Angels before they came over and joined my mother and me.

Everyone was dancing and talking while the band played. I looked up at the sky and saw the moon brightly shining through the trees. Once the sun set, our town cooled off immensely. Seeing all the lights and people coming to listen to music and be together is only one of the things Prescott has to offer.

So a typical night in Prescott consists of music, dogs, friends, and most of all family. Maybe trying to describe the feeling of being a part of this small town was difficult, but I'm glad I tried because the people that hear this can see that Prescott is much more than a small little town in Arizona.