Chapter 4: Aurora Watson

Irene woke up in a decent mood...

Until all the thoughts of yesterday came and bothered her mind.

STOP thinking of it! It was nothing! Irene thought as she was trying to force all the memories from yesterday out of her head.

But what was it though? Irene thought one last time.

She went to her bowl of cold water and slowly splashed some in her face. She grabbed the warm towel and dried her face.

She walked up to the window and stared at her flower garden.

She let out one final deep breath and was about to turn to her small kitchen. But then she heard footsteps through the tall grass.

"Huh?-" Irene said startled and looked out the window again.

Out she saw a blonde girl with glasses and a small book sack.

She looked around the place in awe with her mouth dropped open.

Oh God oh God oh God Irene thought to herself as she started to panic

Irene took one deep breath, and cleared her throat:

"Hey, HEY, who are you?" Irene shouted as she opened the window.

Hey... WHO SAYS THAT?! Irene thought stupidly

The blonde girl flinched and she saw Irene sticking her head out the window.

"Oh- hello! I'm sorry, I was exploring. Do you want me to leave?" The blonde girl said politely.

Surprised by her American accent, Irene shook her head and said: "No, don't leave, I'm sorry if I scared you."

Smiling, the blonde girl walked up to the cottage adjusting her glasses.

"Hello! My name is Aurora Watson. What's yours?" The blonde girl said as she held out her hand for Irene to shake it.

Irene just stared at her hand not knowing what to do. For she did not know how to greet people.

"Oh um... I'm Irene," Irene said still leaving Aurora's hand out.

But Irene hesitated, she almost forgot her last name.

"Irene? Just Irene? Or do you have a last name?" Aurora said sarcastically as she brought her hand back.

"Irene... Irene Silverstone." Irene said nodding.

"Irene... that's a pretty name! Uh- do you live alone? Or do you have company in there?" Aurora asked as she leaned her head to look in the window.

"Uh- no it's just me, I live alone." Irene said.

"Oh... uh, do you want me to leave?" Aurora asked as turned her head to where she came from.

"No- no, don't go, here, I'll go open the door for you." Irene said as she went to the back door to go open it for Aurora.

Aurora walked in, and she looked around curiously.

"Huh, pretty nice place, you live here? All alone?" Aurora asked as she still looked around.

"Mhm. It's just me, just me who lives here." Irene said as she put her hands behind her back.

"So uh... where do you come from?" Irene said breaking the awkward silence.

"Oh! That's right, I come from Missouri, me and my family love traveling, we're spending two weeks here in Ireland." Aurora said proudly.

"Oh really? That's um... nice!" Irene said. "Um, do you want something to drink? Tea? Water?" Irene said crossing her fingers behind her back, hoping she was doing well at greeting people

"Tea would be nice." Aurora said.

"Well here, have a seat." Irene said pulling in a chair.

"So uh... How long are you going to stay here?" Irene said looking over her shoulder as she poured warm water into a teacup.

"Not long probably. But would you be okay if I visit again?" Aurora said as she crossed her legs.

"Oh, visit whenever you want!" Irene said as she dropped some tea leaves into the hot water. Thinking that she was starting to warm up to Aurora.

"Great!" Aurora said as she held her hands out for Irene to hand her the teacup.

Irene sat next to her smiling.

I finally have a use for that second chair. Irene thought as she talked with Aurora.