Chapter 7. Hayley

Chapter 7: Hayley

We step onto the sidewalk and a breeze of cool air brushes my face.

"Okay." Asher takes a deep breath. "What first."

I look around.

There are buildings towering over me and palm trees sprouting from underneath the ground.

I turn to him.

"Everything?"

He smiles and grabs my hand.

We dash through the city hand in hand. It's the best feeling ever.

He stops at a park bench and sits down while I plop down next to him.

"Wow." He says breathlessly.

I look down and see he hasn't let go of my hand but I'm not going to say anything.

"Have you ever even been outside of your hometown?" He's turned to me.

I'm still out of breath but I manage to sputter out an answer. "No, not at all actually. I didn't realize there was so much more world outside of my home."

I notice him look down at our hands which are still interlocked with each other.

"I'm glad I met you Hayley, I don't really have anyone anymore, it's nice to have someone to travel the world with."

He flashes me a smile and I can feel myself smiling without even realizing I am.

After resting, we find our way to a diner and seat ourselves.

This was gonna be my first meal in almost 18 hours.

The waitress walks up to us. "Hi, my name is Penny and I'll be your server today, can I start you off with your drinks?"

"I'll take a water." I say.

"I'll have one as well." Asher says.

"Alright, I'll have those out for you in a little bit." Penny says as she walks away.

He holds up his menu and points at a serving of French fries.

"Would you care to share a basket of French fries miss Hayley?"

I chuckle. "Sure. What are your thoughts on 7 scoop ice cream sundaes?" I say, reading off the menu.

"Who could say no?" he laughs.

We ordered our food; Asher gets French toast, and I ordered a stack of pancakes and of course the basket of fries that we share. 

"We need a plan." Asher says, eating a fry.

I slide the basket to my side and eat one. "For what?"

He grabs it back. "As much as I love this spontaneous running around, I feel like if we plan out what to do then we would have more of an idea, you know?"

He takes a handful of fries and eats them.

"True. But what's wrong with being spontaneous?" I snatch the basket back.

"Oh my gosh, you're ridiculous." Asher laughs.

He switches over to my side of the booth. "Now isn't this easier?"

"Why are you asking me? You could've done that from the beginning." I laugh with him.

He pops another French fry in his mouth and wipes his hands with his napkin.

"We need to document this experience." He says, pulling out his stack of post-its.

"You read my mind." I say.

I take the sharpie and write Hayley was here too.

We stick it underneath the seat of the booth and Asher pays the check.

We head out and start walking.

Asher sticks his hands in his pocket. "I need to get something from somewhere."

"What do you need?"

"I'm just going to buy a souvenir."

We find an office supplies store nearby and Asher opens the door. "You can stay out here; I won't be long."

I nod my head as he walks in.

He comes out less than 10 minutes later with a little box.

He faces me. "Quick, what's your last name."

"Um, it's Annesley." I say. I never told him, but I do not see a reason he needs it now.

"Pause. That's so cool." He clears his throat and holds the box in front of me. "Hayley Annesley, behold, my gift to you."

I open the box and there was a thick black sharpie inside.

We both start laughing and I close the box and hold it in my hands.