II: A Soldier From D.C.

-----

Two: A Soldier From D.C.

-----

Stephen looked at the clock on the wall over the jukebox: 9:30 AM. He thought it must have been around that time, for things were finally starting to calm down. It was usually around that time they did a quick cleanup at the diner to prepare for the second round of endless in-and-outs: lunch, which began at around 11 AM and proceeded until 1 PM. Stephen took his hat off, put it on the counter, hung the apron beside it and traded them for a piece of cloth and alcohol, which he used to clean the tables.

As he cleaned them, he noticed Hannah sitting on another table eating a milkshake Jerry had prepared specially for her. It was a warm spring morning and a milkshake fit the occasion like a glove. Hannah smiled at him and waved, but when she raised her hand she hit the glass and dropped it. Luckily, it did not fall and break - for that would have been discounted on her paycheck at the end of the month - but it still made a very sticky and sweet mess.

Stephen walked to her table immediately and offered to clean it, but Hannah rejected the offer.

"No, please, I made the mess, let me clean it."

"It's no problem, really, I am glad to help, " Hannah smiled but refused.

"I insist, " she said, grabbing the cloth from his hands and cleaning it herself.

"Hey!" Glenn's authoritative voice called from the other side of the diner. "I don't pay you two to flirt! Come here, Larsen, we still have to talk."

As he walked to Glenn, the door opened, making the little bell above it ring. A man entered and sat at the first table on his right.

"What the hell are you doing?" Glenn asked, noticing Stephen was walking to him.

"Going to talk to you?" He answered, though in such an inquisitive manner that it showed very little confidence in the matter.

"Not now! You go serve that man first, we can talk later. Clients first, Stephen, always!" Glenn went back upstairs.

Stephen grabbed his apron, hat, and a menu and went to the man, who he now noticed was wearing formal military attire. It was not very often that regular soldiers came to Jane's, but higher rank ones were even less common.

"Saved by the bell, huh?" Hannah whispered as Stephen passed by her. He chuckled.

"Hello, sir, welcome to Jane's." He said, giving the man a menu, "What would you like to eat?"

"Coffee and pancakes."

"Oh, you're here for breakfast, alright." He said, taking notes of his order.

"It's a little late, I know, but I haven't had it today, I just got here."

"I figured."

"How so?"

"You don't sound Mississippian."

He nodded, "That's because I'm from Washington."

"DC?" Stephen asked.

"Yes and I'm in a hurry, so if you could rush I'd appreciate it."

"Sure, sure, sorry. I'll be back in a minute. Coffee and pancakes."

Stephen walked to the kitchen and asked Jerry for pancakes, something he was not pleased with at all.

"Pancakes at 10 AM? No, there's no more dough."

"Then make some."

"I can't make dough for one person, I usually do it for dozens. Even if I use just an egg it will still go to waste and I am not wasting food. I am not making pancakes just because this man came late. Tell him the kitchen is closed for breakfast. I'll be happy to fry him an egg and beef if he likes."