[21]

"Home sweet home," JJ choked out as Kiara stopped the car in front of JJ's worn-out and silent house. The only noise was the engine from the car and a chicken clucking.

"Do you want us to come?" I asked from the backseat. "'Cause we'll come," he removed his hat, messed with his hair, then looked back at me and shook his head.

"No. This will only take a second," he opened his door, and unlike Kie, who stayed put as JJ told her, I followed my boyfriend out of the car. He sighed when he saw me and didn't try to pick a fight. He merely grabbed my hand and walked me inside.

I felt him tense as we entered, hearing a fly buzz past us. "Dad?" JJ called, but no one answered. He searched through the trashed kitchen and dining room before finding his dad passed out on the living room couch.

He dropped my hand as I stayed a few steps away from the couch. "Dad, I need the keys to the Phantom. Dad?" JJ said as his dad's snoring continued. He picked up an empty pill bottle from the coffee table and examined it with a small scowl. He glanced back at me and saw that my face was contorted in sadness.

He moved his eyes back to his father and perked up when he saw what was around Luke's neck. The keys to the Phantom. He took a deep breath before grabbing a pencil and tweezers. His shaky hands reached forward and tried to take the necklace when he froze.

I stepped forward and gasped quickly when Luke opened his eyes. "I didn't expect to see you. You're back," Luke grumbled hoarsely. JJ had a look of panic as he retracted his tools. 

"Yeah, no, I just --" JJ stuttered, stealing a look towards me. "Just checkin' in," he said while his dad took a sip of the beer on the table.

"School out already?" Luke asked, and that's when JJ halted again.

"What?" 

"Did you ditch? It's all right. You can tell me," Luke chuckled, and I caught a glimpse of JJ relaxing slightly.

"Yeah. I hit the break, you know," JJ joked dryly, making Luke laugh.

"I hated school too. My boy!" Luke said, and JJ's lips twitched into a grin. "Hey, you know what . . . . listen, hey," Luke stood up abruptly, causing me to step back but JJ only to step forward.

"Hey, look, I know I'm hard on you sometimes. But sometimes, I see -- I see your mother in you, and it gets me a little tweaked, you know?" Luke chuckled, and JJ joined him, gaining his tension back when his father placed his hands on his shoulders. "You're a good boy. And I love you, son. Come here," Luke brought JJ into his arms.

"I love you. I love you, son. I love you," Luke kept repeating. JJ sniffed and accepted his dad's hug.

"Love you too, Dad. I'm sorry," he muttered.

"Ain't got nothin' to be sorry for," Luke said slowly, and his arm fell from JJ's shoulder. JJ laid him back on the couch as Luke whispered, "you're a good boy."

JJ took a shaky breath as he saw his dad go back to sleep. He ripped Luke's coat open and snatched the necklace from his neck. The blonde turned back around to face me, tears glossing his eyes.

"JJ," I mumbled.

"We gotta get going," he said and held out his hand.

"JJ --"

"Come on," he lowered his voice, and I sighed, taking his hand. We walked out and got back in the car as Kie started the engine.

"How'd it go?" She asked JJ, who held up his shaky hand with the necklace wrapped around his fingers.

~:*:~

Everyone in the car was choking on the tension as we raced to the garage the Phantom was being held. "It'll be fine," I tried to reassure.