5. Declan's Frustration

It was late in the evening and the four sisters were in the princesses drawing-room, discussing the upcoming engagement that had been a shock to them all not expecting it to take place until December.

The room was glowing warmly from the dazzling chandeliers above. The balcony doors were open allowing the cool breeze from outside to enter the room. The distant hum of the bustling palace life fading away slowly as time went by and slowly everyone began to retreat for the night.

Terania sighed softly, it was not often she let her emotions show.

“Is everything ok Terania?” Layana asked as she completed another page of the punishment her father had set for. She still had so much more to write and her fingers were aching.

“Of course, it is, Lord Zephyr will be arriving in a few days, and soon we will be officially engaged, I have barely spoken to the man since our proposal was put forth,” Terania reply her deep melodic voice sounded tired.

“You will be ok, it's your duty,” Cordelia said making Aurelia and Layana roll their eyes.

“It's ok to talk about it and feel this way Tera,” Layana said gently placing her papers down, Aurelia took the chance to scoop them up and read them. Layana did not stop her and walked over to Terania.

“Tell me what do you know about him?” Layana asked batting her eyelashes for added effect.

Terania gave her a small smile knowing her sister was trying to make it seem like a lighter topic

“He’s old,” Aurelia added glancing up from the papers as Cordelia frowned at her and Layana gave her a look.

“Well Terania is twenty-one,” Cordelia said as she glanced up from the large book she was now reading.

“He’s twenty-nine, he is relinquishing his title as future duke of House Masbole to become future prince consort,” Terania said taking a deep breath.

“And? What else, what does he look like?” Layana asked, Terania raised her perfect brows at her sister

“Layana you have seen him,”

“I only saw him from afar,” Layana replied waving her hand as she slid her legs up onto the sofa and placed her head comfortably in Terania’s lap, smiling faintly, her unique coloured iridescent eyes sparkling up as she placed her arms across her slender waist looking up at her sister. Terania chuckled lightly.

“Ok well, he’s tall, six-foot at least, he is muscular, quiet, serious and has these bright blue eyes and dark brown hair, his hair is rather nice, he is handsome…” Terania said as Layana smiled

“Hmm, I actually remember his eyes now that you mention it, was it just me or did they barely leave you?” she teased making her sister swat her hand

“That’s not true,” she said.

Layana smiled, happy her sister seemed a little less down.

“It is true,” Aurelia chimed in.

“Well, who else should he have been looking at?” Cordelia said sceptically raising an eyebrow. Layana looked at Terania whose smile was fading slightly.

"Just think, he too is leaving all he knew, he was trained to be the future duke, but he will have to leave his home, his family, I am sure he must be nervous too," Layana said gently and Terania became serious, getting lost in thought,

"I did not even consider that..." she said softly, Layana gave her a smile before standing up and walking to the open balcony.

An ache in her heart, she was always somehow drawn to the beauty of the sky no matter what time of day it was. She walked to the door stepping out into the night.
Her chest filled with a surge of happiness as she gazed up at the moon shining bright against a blanket of glittering stars. A soft smile crossed her lips as she admired the splendour of the night. Her heart raced in her chest as she gripped the cool marble of the balcony rail.