Chapter One: Broken Promises

She lifted her head from the mud, searching, but the man was gone. She moved herself up with her one good arm, trying to wipe the blood away. Alec would be angry with her. Again. She stumbled on injured feet, trying to make her way back to the shop. The sun was setting quickly now, and if she didn't make it home by curfew....

"Wren! What happened to you?" A tall boy ran down the alley, screaming at the injured girl. "Are youlooking for a fight? It's like I can't take you anywhere without you being mauled!"

"I'm fine, Alec. Let's just go home." Wren took the lead, looking as dignified as she could while limping. Alec walked behind her on the old dirt road. He seemed very concerned. This wasn't the first time his sister had gotten into a fight. It was dangerous to be getting hurt so much.

"Would you just tell me why?" he asked, coming up next to her.

"He wanted the bag. I wouldn't give it to him. He started it." Wren's mother had given her the bag when she was very small. It had real gold strands woven into the black fabric, and someone could get a hefty price with it at the market. Wren carried the bag with her everywhere, she wouldn't part with it. Most people on the streets would eye the bag with envy, and sometimes someone very desperate would take it.

"You know that wouldn't happen if you didn't carry it around everywhere," stated Alec, quietly. Wren glared at him and walked quicker. Alec sighed.

Wren knew very well that if she left it at home it would be safer. But it didn't feel that way. Since the accident, the bag was the only thing left of her parents. Her only comfort in a small, dark world. When she had it slung across her shoulder it was like everything would be okay. Like her parents were still there to protect her. So she wasn't really mad at Alec. She was just frustrated that he couldn't understand. He thought it was just a bag. To Wren, it was a passage to a safe haven.

They reached the house, and Wren opened the tough metal gate. It slammed, sending a ringing noise down the street. Alec shut it quietly, and knocked on the door.

"Who's there?" asked a voice from inside.

"Alec and Wren."

"Okay," a boy with shaggy blond hair named Salamander opened the door. "Miranda's really mad. She said that if you were a minute late she would chop your heads off ."

"Great. We're home!" Alec called out, pushing Wren inside the house.

"Alec Louis Hamilton! Where have you been?" A tall girl was standing in the corner, taking a break from stirring a steaming black pot to yell.

"Shopping," replied Alec. Miranda frowned.

"I'll have you know that in THREE MINUTES it will be curfew, and if you had stayed out there, I would have killed you before theydid!"

"Look, I'm sorry, okay? I was trying to get a good deal off the butcher, and our litlle birdie friend over here," he pointed to Wren, "was getting mugged!"

"Why didn't you tell me before?" cried Miranda. "Wren, are you hurt?"

"I'm okay," said Wren. Liar, mouthed Salamander. Wren stuck her tongue out at him.

"Anyway," said Miranda. "Dinner's almost ready. Go tell Honey, Wren. Then wash your hands." Wren did as she was told, walking into a closet of a room which belonged to Honey.

"Honey?" called Wren into the dust. "It's dinnertime. Are you hungry?"

"Wren? What time is it?"

"It's time to eat, that's what time it is."

"No, Wren. It's almost curfew, isn't it."

"We're okay, Honey. It's time to eat now."

"Wren. You got in a fight again. Again! Wren, you..... you told me you wouldn't! You promised!" The pale little girl had tears brimming in her big green eyes. "You promised."