Chapter 2

You think it's all over
Get up and try again
You've got to act your age, darling
Before you fall back in

Young - Vacations

"What did she ask you again?"

Hoseok sits in front of me in the cafeteria and puts down his tray on the table. Today's menu is my favorite. Doenjang jjigae, bulgogi and the normal varieties of kimchi. Korean food is honestly the best.

"Hyung, what did she say?"

"She asked me to teach piano for kids."

"Wow," Hoseok stuffs his mouth with rice and continues talking. "You're not good with kids though."

"Exactly," I answer while mixing the rice in the jjigae. My stomach is grumbling because I skipped breakfast. Like always

"But, hyung. I don't think the whole idea is bad," he takes my bulgogi and eats it. "It could be a new starting point."

"What starting point? I'm not gonna start again."

Hoseok sighs and puts down his chopsticks. "Don't give me that, hyung. I know how much you want to start again. I get crazy if I can't dance. It must be the same for you and your piano."

"Who asked you to teach again? I didn't catch her name."

"Seo Aeri."

"Wait," Hoseok coughs and grasps for a glass of water because the food got stuck in his throat. "Seo Aeri in your class? The band girl?"

I nod and continue eating. Is it that weird? I never think of myself as the loser of the school, but apparently when a popular girl talks to you, people would still wonder if you're up to her 'standard'.

"And she knows that you play piano after school? Hyung, are you more popular than we think you are?"

"Shut it. Anyway, I'm not doing it. I was just telling you what happened yesterday."

My food is finished and I take the tray back to the cart. Hoseok follows behind, "how did you meet her outside school anyway? I thought she's the type to go out in groups and hang out in cafe or karaoke."

That is a very hard question to answer. Firstly, Hoseok will nag me about my smoking habit and secondly, I bought the cigarettes from his cousin. Nothing good will come out if he knows about this again.

"I just met her while going home, that's it."

Hoseok doesn't seem like he buys it, but he lets it go this time. We walk outside to the basketball court. While I just keep on walking with no disturbance, it is not the same for Hoseok. People might find it kinda funny that a guy with sunshine personality like Hoseok would hangout with me. People found me kind of, pragmatic? Almost pessimistic, or so I've heard. It's not like I don't agree with them, I just don't really like being labeled. Now that they've put that label on me, it makes me uncomfortable to act differently. 

-----------------------------------

The school is done and I pack my bags to go meet Hoseok outside. It's wednesday, which is arcade day for us. Hoseok doesn't have any dance practice and me, well, I don't really do much things outside the usual school and home.