Chapter 2: The Lost commanders

The day after the attack from Vader, some sort of good news came as Jinx had intercepted imperial communications. Apparently, the Empire believed that the Phoenix Cell was now harmless after the destruction of its command ship, and the Sith Lord had been sent by the Emperor in another corner of the galaxy, to the commanders' great reliefs.

The destruction had even convinced Kanan that Ezra was right: as Jedi, they couldn't just stand aside and do nothing, for that was the reason why many people in the galaxy lost hope in them, which was a big factor leading to the creation of the Empire.

After a night of solid sleep, Jaral had woken up reinvigorated. She was still shaken from the losses, but in the end, most of her dejection was just amplified by the exhaustion. Now she could clearly see things as they were, and realized that she had indeed done a great job, considering the odds that she was facing. Not that she would ever brag about it, but she felt relieved and ready to get back into the action.

When she woke up, Jaral was surprised to see that Sabine had already left the cabin. Then she looked at the clock in her omni-tool and realized that she had slept 7 hours straight, way more than her usual.

She quickly dressed up and went into the common room, where she was stunned at the scene.

Most of the crew was sit around the holotable or the nearby chairs, all looking toward the center of the room.

There stood Sabine and Ezra, hands intertwined and facing the rest of the family in a straight-up position. Jaral's didn't take long to realize what was happening.

"Did I miss the big reveal?" she asked sarcastically with a smile.

"I'm afraid so..." Kanan replied in her same tone and expression.

Zeb and Hera were also looking at her with a knowing smirk. Nobody of them even considered the idea that Jaral, of all people, didn't know about the relationship between the two persons she was closest with on the Ghost.

"So how long has this been going on?" Hera asked the two teens. "I mean, I got some signals here and there, but I'd never guessed you were already committed."

"Right after Mustafar." Ezra said. "So, it's been barely a week."

"It was my fault that we tried to hide it." Sabine said innocently. "It was all new and...I didn't know how to manage it. Guess I panicked a little."

"There's nothing to be afraid of, Sabine. We're happy for you two, really." Hera said, her face definitely confirming her words.

The teens looked relieved as they bowed down their heads and looked furtively at each other.

"Ok, for how much I love you two lovebirds, I have an announcement to make as well." Jaral said jokingly, stepping into the room. Then she took a more serious tone "I've been invited aboard the Liberator  to help discuss our next move, and to check on my fighter."

"Will it take long?" Zeb asked.

"Probably. My ship has been grazed, but that's up to the technicians. However Darvos just sent me a message. It's likely that commander Sato will ask me to join the crew, since now I am officially a combat pilot."

"You're...leaving the Ghost?" Sabine asked with a note of sadness.

Jaral chuckled. "Not entirely. After all, we are all part of the Phoenix Cell, now. If this arrangement comes through, I'll have to participate in the patrols and plan the missions together with the squadron, but all you have to do is dock at the command ship and I'll be back aboard."

"I honestly envy how you recovered from your pessimism so quickly." Kanan said proudly. "Whatever you'll decide, know that we'll always be here, waiting for you."