Chapter 5

We gather in the throne room of the Nie Clan, Xue Yang in the middle, flanked by me and Jiang Cheng, the others off to the sides. Clan Leader Nie, an imposing figure of sizable mass, sturdy frame, and just temperament, scratches his chin as he perches on his throne.

"You tell me of a massacre, of which I have heard," he says. "This is the killer?"

"Yes, Clan Leader Nie," Jiang Cheng answers, unnecessarily sneering at Xue Yang.

"We suspect he has a shard of the Yin Iron," Lan Zhan says. "But we do not know where it lays as of yet. We have searched him and the mansion and found nothing. Our conclusion is that he has hidden it and refuses to divulge the location."

Xue Yang laughs at our suppositions but makes no move to free himself. "If you think I know where it is, why don't you make me tell you?" He sneers at the clan leader.

Clan Leader Nie rises, gathering anger raging on his features. "That kind of pain would be too good for such a criminal," he says. "You will pay your price. And you will pay for as long as you have yet to live."

His remarks provoke another fit of laughter. As laughter fills the hall, I notice Meng Yao studying Xue Yang, his gaze intently on the young man's face. He meets my eyes as soon as he realizes I have caught him. He does not issue me a challenge, but rather dares me to ask a question. I quietly hold his stare, infusing the interaction with an intenseness of my own. I do not dare him to do anything except look away. I have learned that facing someone, rather than turning away, establishes your character and increases your respect.

He blinks, inclining his head and smiling slightly, then returns his attention to Clan Leader Nie. The clan leader is engaged in conversation with Wei Wuxian, Lan Zhan, and Jiang Cheng. They describe to him the story of how they came together on this quest, then how I found them, and how we happened upon Xue Yang in our search to find the remaining shards of the Yin Iron.

"Meng Yao," the clan leader says, "what are your thoughts?"

"Sir," Meng Yao says, "I believe he should be imprisoned for his crimes. The remainder of his punishment is up to you. I have confidence you will judge him justly and according to the law." He bows and steps back.

Clan Leader Nie levels his gaze on Xue Yang. "Do you have anything to say for yourself, lowlife?"

Our prisoner smiles. "Yes. I do." He pauses. "If you want me to tell you where the Yin Iron is, all I'll say is that some of it's in Qishan. And some of it is on Lan Zhan. Otherwise, you'll find I won't be that helpful. Torture me all you want. I won't talk." He laughs, the manic light reappearing in his eyes. "Any pain you do will be meaningless to the pain I've felt before."

Clan Leader Nie scoffs. "Off with you!" Guards appear and take him to the dungeon. The clan leader turns back to the rest of us, saying, "You may be accommodated here tonight. My clan will see to it that you are taken care of."

"Thank you, Clan Leader," we say in gratitude. As we straighten, a servant appears to lead us to our rooms. Nie Huiasang stays behind, presumably to talk to his brother.

The servants give us a suite with separate rooms for each of us. I settle for being a bit more vigilant tonight, not wanting to encroach on the Nie Clan's hospitality. If anyone barges in, I will need to find an excuse. And a worthy one. A secret that large, kept for so long—it will depend on who finds out. But none will take kindly to being misled.

As it happens, just before I am about to strip, I hear a knock on my door. I answer, cracking the door open. It is Wei Wuxian and Lan Zhan. Both of them, standing together. I am fortunate they knocked the second they did. A second later, and their trust of me and my credibility would shatter.