Friends for life

The centre of the console pulsed up and down continuously as its navigator ran around it like the mad man he was. The TARDIS gave a reassuring hum as the time lord pressed nearly ever y control on the main console unit. The TARDIS had had the same navigator for a number of centuries now, ever since he stole her and they ran away together. But the TARDIS wanted to go on adventures just as much as her owner did. Her Doctor.

There was a pitter patter of footsteps as it suddenly became apparent that Amy and Rory, the Doctor's latest companions, were making their way through the TARDIS' winding corridors to the console room to join their friend. As they reached the top of the stairs, Amy called down to the Doctor, "Morning Raggedy Man." She always called him that, ever since she was a little girl. He had been her imaginary friend and she had always seemed reluctant to call him by his real name.

"Good morning Amelia, good morning Rory." The Doctor briefly looked up to meet Amy's gaze and gave her a big grin. Her name, her real name was Amelia Pond and that was what she called herself when the Doctor had first met her, but as she had grown up, the Doctor's words had echoed in her head that her name was, 'like a name in a fairy tale'. She had been led to believe the Doctor wasn't real as it had been 12 years and he hadn't come back for her, so she chose to change her name to leave that piece of her life behind her. But then the Doctor came back for her when she was 19. She didn't mind him calling her Amelia because to him she was still the little girl that he had met all those years ago and she always would be, even if no one else called her Amelia any more, with the exception of her parents. It was, however, another 2 years before he asked her to fly away with him and go on adventures.

Amy had been travelling with the Doctor and her husband, Rory, for some time now and she still loved it just as much as she did the day she started. There was always something new to see. They could go anywhere in time and space and they would, the Doctor was certainly making sure of that. There were risks to travelling with the Doctor and Amy knew those risks oh too well. Only recently had she lost her daughter, her and Rory's daughter, Melody Pond, or River Song depending on who you asked because Melody had been raised in the Gamma Forest and in their language, they didn't have a word for Pond, because the only water in the Forest is the River.

"So, where are we going today then Doctor?" Amy asked inquisitively

"Somewhere new. Somewhere brand new and cool. Very, very cool!" He sounded more excited than usual which Amy and Rory both agreed, they didn't think was possible.

"So, where are we going then Doctor?" Rory always hated it when the Doctor wouldn't tell them where they were straight away. Rory loved travelling with the Doctor just as much as Amy did but he hadn't known the Doctor as long as Amy had and that had affected the enjoyment at the start. Rory had felt threatened by the Doctor, because he didn't know him, and he was worried that he was going to try and take Amy away from him. It was only as Rory got to know the Doctor that he realised there wasn't really any competition there. The Doctor was like an excitable 12 year old, or a puppy, and besides, he was married to Amy and Rory's daughter, River, or at least that was what Rory got the impression of every time they were around each other.

"We're going to Auralia! It's in the Iris Star system. The people there are lovely and the food is to die for."

"Famous last words there Doctor." Amy knew oh too well just what happened whenever the Doctor thought he knew all about a planet, with its lovely people, and lovely atmosphere. As soon as they got there, Amy was almost certain that everything would go wrong.