Chapter 8: Spiteful.

I walk slowly behind Renata. Her and I have slowly become more familiar with each other, but I know that Aro's tight grip on the rules makes it difficult for her to speak freely with me—and with what had happened to Felix...she may continue to guard against me in private as well.

"Here we are." She says, coming to a sudden halt—if she had not said anything, I wouldn't have remembered where she was bringing me.

"Oh, but...isn't this the same hall as Aro's room?" I question as I recognize the surrounding area.

"Yes. Master Aro wanted you close by." She spoke, reaching for the door. Renata pushes open the entrance to my supposed bedroom, and upon revealing what awaits inside, I audibly gasp with disbelief.

"This...this is my room?" I stare at the dozens of windows that line the walls, bringing in the natural light. The colour scheme is a clean and crisp white with a few accents of baby blue and gold. Walking in I am immediately met with a sitting area that has gorgeous velvet loungers, with a dark wood coffee table. A vase of lilies sits in the middle of the table, welcoming me to smell them. I turn in circles, trying to catch every single detail, as if I would never be able to witness the sight ever again.

"Do you like it, mistress?"

"Do I? I love it. You and Heidi worked so hard—no wonder it took you some time to finish setting it up." I say nearly breathless as I come to find the bookshelves that stand against the wall further into the room.

"Not at all, mistress. Heidi and I had finished fixing the room a day before you arrived. Everything was planned by Master Aro. The furniture and décor are also his doing. Nothing was brought into the room unless approved by the master first." Renata answers.

I give her an odd look. "Aro did all of this?"

"Yes, mistress. He was very meticulous. He wanted to ensure that everything was perfect for you."

"Then, why did he have me stay with him when my room was already finished?" I quirk a brow.

Renata giggles into her hand. "I think the master just wanted to keep you to himself. He is very fond of you, mistress."

Looking back around the room, I could see how carefully it had been constructed. My chest weighs heavy, thinking about what I had said to Aro...and the hurt that shown plain on his face for my moment of anger. "Thank you, Renata. Uhm...do you happen to know where Aro is now?"

"The masters should be in a meeting right now. In fact, I must head back. They will be holding trials soon."

"Oh. How long are trials?"

Renata grins. "They can be held for hours—one never really knows. Schedules are always drafted days before hand, so it may be as short as seven hours, or as long as fifteen."

"F-fifteen? There can't possibly be so many trials..."

Renata shakes her head. "You may be surprised, mistress. The Volturi look over all of our kind and every report that is made around the globe. My masters are a vital part of the balance we need in our world. Master Aro, especially."

"Why only Aro?" I probe.

"Mistress—it would be funny if you have not already picked up on it. As you know, unlike Master Marcus, who is very soft-spoken and passive, there is Master Caius who is passionate and aggressive. Master Aro sits just between the scale—hence why he is more commonly known as the primary leader of the Volturi. Master Aro makes final decisions and is the only leader who upholds the law with fairness. With mistress Didyme's personality, Master Marcus is often tied around her finger, and does not pay much attention to documentation as he should. In court, he is passively active...but still active. Master Caius cares not for paperwork and reports and much rather handle things in person—which is where most of his passion is fueled during trials."