negative thoughts

What’s the deal with negative body image?

A body-positive mindset is something so many people, especially women, struggle with today. Society has very strict messages on what we should be, other people can be very rough on us, and of course, we are very hard on ourselves.

Some of us feel too skinny, some too fat, some too short, some too tall, breasts too small, breasts too big. The list goes on. We each have our own limiting beliefs and stories we struggle with.

Body positivity mindset

Ok, so it’s one thing to understand some of the origins of why our negative body image issues have come about due to external factors. You can reject these external factors as much as you want, but the lasting psychological damage is already in play. You’re ready to change, be kind, and love yourself, but how?

The first step is to recognize that body image is all related to mindset, regardless of where the voice that says cruel things about your body when you look in the mirror is coming from. This mindset has been calibrated and fine-tuned by both negative and positive influences. The cool thing is that you have the power to choose which influences you let affect you.

Imagine your mindset like a DJ controller mixing board. There are a lot of dials and tuning mechanisms. If there is excess noise in the background, the DJ can change the settings to minimize it and remove it from the track, or if there is a sound they like, they can amplify it. By changing the settings of each of the dials, the DJ changes the sound that comes out. Your mind is currently set to your unique version of “negative body image.” But you can take back the power to be your own mindset DJ. By adjusting and fine-tuning the dials, you can change your mind to a positive body image setting that works for you.

Mindset = the setting of your mind. You have the power to change the settings in both helpful and limiting ways.

Adrianne Elizabeth