Chapter 2-2

You sat by Bucky's side in front of the fire, gripping his hand tightly, rubbing slow circles into his palm with your thumb as Ayo rounded the two of you.

You could feel the tension in his body as she began reciting the triggers.

"Longing...rusted...seventeen..."

Bucky's chest heaved as panic set in. He shook his head and tears began to brim his eyes "It's not gonna work." His voice broke over his words.

"Daybreak...furnace...nine...benign..."

"Y/N, you should go." His breath quickened and you struggled to maintain your composure as you tried to ease his distress. "I can't hurt you." His whole body trembled as he fought a war within his mind. You just shook your head and squeezed his hand tighter.

"Homecoming...one...freight car."

You studied his face carefully as shock and relief overtook him. He let out a shaky breath and the tears that had been welling in his eyes fell freely.

"You are free." Ayo said proudly, making sure he heard her and understood. He looked to her, trying to wrap his mind around what had just happened. She just nodded at him and repeated "You are free."

He turned to face you, every one of his features overwhelmed as it sunk in. He was no longer The Winter Soldier. His head fell to your shoulder and you stroked his hair. You weren't sure how long you stayed like that, but you held him until his breathing slowed and his trembling eased.