preface

Hello, reader. Welcome to my Pinecest story, 'Leaving the House Where We Grew Up'. Titled after one of my favorite tracks of all-time (by the artist 'Hammock'), it follows the trials and tribulations, ups and down, victories and losses between Mabel and Dipper Pines. While there is some canonical references to the pre-existing storyline, most of the story occurs in the years that followed the series' conclusion. I also took a few creative liberties, such as Stan not leaving town at the end of the show's run and Ford doesn't have a role, either; forgive me, but I figured you wonderful readers weren't coming here for a truly authentic slice of fan-fiction in the first place.

Some words of warning: this (obviously) contains incest and sexual acts between consenting adults aged seventeen and up, as well as an attempted suicide. Let me be clear: I do not condone or encourage any of these acts; this is a work of fiction and, if you don't want to read a tale containing said material, it would likely behoove you to move on.

I tried to write a tome that includes a bit of everything: some heart, some humor, angst and exasperation, fluff and beauty, action and romance. Much like each of our lives, those of our protagonists are complicated and push them to their limits. While, once again, incest is wrong for more reasons than simple legal ones, the pangs of not belonging, and suffering through shame and guilt, are emotions many of us have felt while struggling to make sense of the world around us.

Why did I write this tale? I'll be honest: I'm a loser in love. I don't understand connecting with someone on an emotionally intimate level. I am a great roommate and a fine friend; when it comes to matters of the heart, I'm at a loss. Some of it is undoubtedly brought on by my autism and some can be traced to my anxiety disorders. Add to this the fact that I have no desire for offspring and no close connections with my family, and you've got a lonely overly-analytical person who pushes away, namely those whom have shown all the patience and love they could to give.

Basically, I don't understand unconditional love. Everything has an expiration, a collection of tipping-points past which a lover will throw up their hands and say, "I'd rather be alone"; trust me, I been in that position, along with the poor souls that I've pushed there in-turn. In response to this, I've asked myself, 'What, then, would need to exist for a truly unconditional love to blossom? What bond would be strong enough that it could endure the strongest of arrows slung at its core? What is a connection so meaningful that the two involved would give anything to see it survive and flourish, with no sacrifice too great? Could it even be explained if we knew?'

That is what drove this story. Again, I don't condone incest in any regard. Consider this a thought experiment and one to forever stay in the realm of fantasy. Regardless of whatever label we agree to apply, I hope you find some enjoyment in it. It awoke a lot of different emotions in me while writing; please, don't hesitate to share in the comments any that come up for you, positive or negative.

That's all from me. I do appreciate you checking out this story. For the final time: I am not encouraging incest. I would never commit it in a million years and I hope the same goes for all of you. This is a work of fiction but, while the plot itself is something no one should wish to recreate, there are pieces that I think may touch all of us and force us to ask, 'What is love, really?'

Thank you kindly.