Challenge for Discovery

Chapter V

Lilybeth’s dorm wasn’t like what Grey imagined for such a young girl like her. The room was filled with state of the art equipment, machines that could only be seen in the 21st century—or, rather, in her room only—and one corner with a table, blueprints pinned on the wall and metal scraps scattered. In average, this is Grey’s impression: What a room!

It was obvious that he’s expecting something like fairy tale princesses-inspired wallpapers in place of the blueprints; stuffed animals on the shelves not prototype machines; a television set with DVD’s about fairies rather than a very large supercomputer; and the whole room painted pink instead of seemingly bolted metals all around it. It seemed like a room for a mad scientist rather than a little 12-year-old girl.

“Where do I put these things?” Grey asks pertaining to the metal scraps.

Lilybeth points to the corner of the room. “Right there, along with the other pieces of metal.” She answers. “But, don’t put it on any of the boxes.” She added.

Grey put down the metals where Lilybeth then the others that are floating followed. “Why do you still need so many metals?” Grey asks after seeing what are in the boxes. “I mean, you already have a bunch of these, why did you look for these at the basement?”

Lilybeth went close to the scraps of metal, crouched then took one, and examined it. “You’re wrong.” She suddenly answers; Grey becomes puzzled. “These metals are different from the others.” She begins. “The ones that we recently gathered are called azonic metals. These metals can withstand several thousands of voltage of electricity; it can even keep its normal form even when hit by one of your thunderbolts. They have this unique characteristic of being able to contain a simple amount of energy—maybe a magical essence of someone’s power or a drop of blood of a renowned warrior—and keep it fresh even when in an environment with extremely changing conditions.”

“In other words…?” Grey was asking her to simplify it.

Lilybeth sighs. “These metals are rare, Grey.”

He just nods acting as if he achieved contentment with everything that she said. “So, you mentioned something about containing a certain amount of magical essence. Is that what you plan to do with Xerxes’ sword?” He asks about his conclusion.

“Probably.” She just answered.

“Probably?” Grey was sarcastic in tone but he was a bit disappointed.

Lilybeth nods. “I hypothesized that his sword has magical powers based on my observations from the War Games.” She reminded Grey. “The pillar of light from the fort—though it is still just a guess.”

“So that pillar of light was from him?” Grey seemed to have been surprised.

Lilybeth was about to slap her own face but she contained herself, instead, she sighed. “Yes, that was from him.” She answers. “And, it would seem that it would continuously happen for the seven other symbols.”

Grey started to recall about it since it was their last battle. “Yeah.” He agrees. “I did notice that one symbol from his sword glows after the pillar of light appeared.”

“Exactly.” Lilybeth became fired up and wanted to start building her machine. “All we need is a sample from his sword to study for the sake of the information that you seek.”

Grey thought for a while. He wasn’t sure what he was about to do in Lilybeth’s plan since she never really mentioned anything specific for him to do. He was about to ask her about it but a sudden crash sounded from outside.